i have issues with the hay

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drum136

lucie <3
alright so, i put there hay in all the time, and they eat it they do. but the majority ends up underneath the their floor or outside of there cage. this isnt so much about them but me, i want to find a better way to conserve the hay, currently i am using a v rack hay feeder that hangs against the wall

with chins, hay ends up everywhere and there isn't much you can do to change that. lol. you could try a different hay holder though, it might lessen the mess slightly. i've seen coffee can holders that are bolted to the side of the cage, and terra cotta pots. my Rhino has a metal coop cup for one type of hay and a rectangular glass kitchen canister laid on its side on the cage floor for another type of hay. hay still gets thrown about some, but it's not too bad.

Chins like to play with their hay as much as they like to eat it, they NEED, LOL, to find the perfect strand to eat and if it means digging it out and spreading it around the cage they will do it no matter what hay holder they have!

I just wanted to add that wire hay racks are dangerous because a chins legs can get caught if/when they decide to climb on it. Most V style hayracks I've seen are wire. In addition to the alternatives that have already been mentioned I'd recommened a plain glass cup laid on its side.

I like to stuff hay inside a toilet roll with lots sticking out the ends and hang it from the top of Marty's cage. Seems to do the trick with keeping it contained although when he's on a mission to get the best piece of hay he does still pull a bit of it out.

Last edited:
I ordered a single hole version of this, with a smaller hole
il_570xN.156351874.jpg

from http://www.etsy.com/listing/50910359/saveabunnys-hay-saver-double-hole.

it's far from perfect but it helps a LOT

I just want to add, as a bunny owner for many years, do not try to vacuum up hay. Hay is the slayer of all vacuum cleaners.

We kept all hay, after a while, in rooms with no carpet. Miss Hoppy's hutch was in the kitchen, and every few days I would sweep it up with the broom - which had to be kept out of reach as after all, brooms are made of hay, too, right?

It has only been a couple of weeks, and it has indeed killed my vacuum. I will now have to take it apart and remove all of the hay to restore suction to my poor overworked vacuum cleaner.

Back