I have a troublemaker! Suggestions.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlwarren

Ok so I love my Chins very much, but one is just a troublemaker. So Gus Gus is now 5 months old and into everything! I swear he does everything you don't want him to. Most of the time I think its adorable and laugh about it. But he is starting to do things that I am afraid can harm him. He is in a double CN with 2 other 5 month olds. I know it is him doing these things because I have witnessed it multiple times. So my first concern is that he has figured out how to take the tunnel covers off and has started chewing on the plastic pvc pipes ( I tell you he is very smart). He is also started to pick at the fleece liners and I don't know if he just got lucky this one time and popped a stitch or if he is trying to pop the stitches. But he has done this once and was chewing on the terry cloth in between. And the third thins really isn's his fault its just his nature I guess, but he is a jumper! I mean he can just almost 4ft high. I have play time in my kitchen I have it blocked of and he has escaped one by jumping over the 4ft wood barrier that my husband made, so he has made me one a little higher, but I sear he stares at it during playtime just trying to figure out how to jump. He constantly tries but hasn't gotten that high yet. I feel its only a matter of time before he realizes he can make on top of the counter tops and then I don't know what to do!

So What to I do about these issues? I don't want to get rid of the tunnels because my other 2 chins love to sleep in them. I have no idea what to do about the jumping at playtime.

Is it possible that he is just bored in his cage and that is why he is getting into everything? If so what can I add to the cage? I know I can't get a wheel until he's 6 months right? And do you think that will help?. He just seems like he has so much energy way more than my other 2. Here is a pic of my cage in case it helps.

Also, are the chewable tunnel that they sell at petsmart okay for Chins?

Thank in advance for the help! :)

DSCN1387.JPG

Sorry could't get the image up for some reason.

Attachments

• DSCN1386.jpg
    DSCN1386.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 54
Chinchillas are like permanent two year olds. :) I think they are all mischievous and smart! I think the jumping thing is inevitable. As for the lining around the tube, could you sow together the part he is able to take off? Same with the liners. Lastly, I think your cage looks great. Maybe add a few more shelves to encourage varied level jumping, but other than that, it looks like he is spoiled.

Good luck with your cute little stinker boy!

A misbehaving chin at that age is quite normal. Its very possible he'll always mess around with the fleece no matter how many times you fix it. Same with the jumping; that may just be his personality. Its up to you on whether or not you want to risk keeping the fleece stuff in the cage. For the tunnels, maybe get longer covers to double wrap the tube? He won't be able to get that off.

For the tunnels, maybe get longer covers to double wrap the tube? He won't be able to get that off.

Both of mine pull the covers off their tunnels too. Even double wrapping doesn't help. I'd suggest switching to metal tubes, personally. I found some old metal cans at a thrift store for 50 cents a piece, cut the bottom off, filed the edges nice and smooth, and used those. Now if they pull off their covers, they leave the rest of the tube alone.

Both of mine pull the covers off their tunnels too. Even double wrapping doesn't help. I'd suggest switching to metal tubes, personally. I found some old metal cans at a thrift store for 50 cents a piece, cut the bottom off, filed the edges nice and smooth, and used those. Now if they pull off their covers, they leave the rest of the tube alone.

Ok, I think I am going to try and double wrap them first, but if that doesn't work I will definitely Look for metal to use. Thanks.

If hes a chewer like that then you'll want to either remove them or switch over to metal tubes. If you no what your doing, you can make your own metal tubes. I ordered mine online and they were nothing more then the right sized metal coffee container. You just have to file the openings on each side extremely well so they don't hurt themselves.

Jumping you will have to deal with. You can make higher barriers, but theirs not much else you can do, other then a playpen with a roof, or a completely closed off room. One of mine is a jumper to. I use the side of an old cage as a barrier. Its quite thin. But he can hope up to the top and balance himself on it, all in one hop. Its quite amazing to watch actually.

Also, are the chewable tunnel that they sell at petsmart okay for Chins?

If you are referring to something like this, then no. They are made with honey. Which is not a good idea for them. I used one before i new about that. My chin ate/chewed the crap out it. He loved it. But every day he would bolt outa his hut, form mid sleep, and start squealing as he tried to go to the bathroom. - Since removing it completely, he has not done this.

Back