I have a sick little chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L_frady

Sorry in advance for this long story. I just want to be able to tell you guys everything that this chinchilla has been doing. I have been to the vet several times with him, and have been talking to the Vet about twice a week. I guess what I'm hunting for is advice on what I should do with my little guy, or personal experience with what could be wrong with him. This is my first chinchilla sickness, so bare with me, I'm a worried little mother!
I got this chinchilla about a month and three weeks ago. I already have another male chinchilla. I notice my two chinchillas were very vocal to one another talking across the room. I waited a month to make sure the new chin wasn't sick. Then I decided to introduce my guys in playtime ( to make playtime easier on me). They took to each other very well with very little fighting, I started out for 20 mins for playtime then as they started playing with one another, I started getting them their full hour together. So about two weeks of playing together with no fighting, I decided to try to home them together. While I was cleaning their future home, Mama was watching them play. My chinchilla ( Piper) is potty trained that in playtime he pees on a puppy pad, so Zeke (my new chinchilla) figured out to pee on the puppy pad too. Mama said Piper pee'd on the pad first and Zeke went to pee on it and it was bloody. I notice he was also breathing rapidly and sneezing. So we rushed him to the Vet along with Piper for company. They did a fecal exam on Zeke and a full exam over both the boys. Through the fecal exam they found that Zeke had giardia and carridia ( two parasites) and the vet thinks he might have a UTI but it is very rare in male chinchillas. So he treated the parasites first. He put both chinchillas ( since they played together) on an antiparsiteical and said to keep an eye on Zeke's urine. On the 5th day of the meds with 3 more days to go, Zeke is started to pee a lot of blood and really dark without any urine showing at all. And his poop started getting rounder and a light color. He did run a fever once but he was still eating and drinking normally. So I called the Vet back and he told me to stop the antiparsiteical and come get an antibiotic for 10 days. Okay so since Piper still had 3 days of antiparsiteical and Zeke is now off of the antiparsiteical and now on antibiotic and I wasn't sure if all of Zeke's parasites were gone so I didn't let Piper and him play together that way Piper could not catch anything else. Zeke is on day 5 of antibiotic that night we finally see a difference in the urine it's is now light blood ( which the doc said was a good sign) and eventually he had about three good normal pees without any blood. So we were excited, the doctor said to continue the antibiotic for 10 more days then 5 days of no meds to give his tummy a break and then the 3 days of antiparsiteical then come to see him. Well two days later ( which is today) Zeke has quit eating, drinking very little, and his poop is so tiny! But he is pooping still. He is now back to the light blood and still regular urine but the pee spots are tiny. He is also peeing all over his cage ( which is not normal for him). He is getting aggressive but I'm guessing it's the meds cause it smells and is like chalky. He isn't playing since I separated him and Piper, he just sits and crys for Piper (Piper does the same think in playtime). So I'm fixing to call the vet again, but idk what else he can do. So any advice or expertise would really be helpful. I'm really worried about him. I don't know much about his previous home but they do seem to love him. He was on a food that had corn, raisins, etc. in it so I slowly started introducing it to him Oxbow ( this is wen I first got him) but he would just pick all his previous food out of it. But since he has quit eating, the doc said to give him whatever he wants so I went back to the other food. He was also on red cedar bedding but I switched him over to Aspen. I also don't think he got much playtime due to when id sit in there with him he couldn't even jump on my shoulder, which Piper does effortlessly. Zeke is super friendly on the 2nd day of having him, he was already wanting me to hold him. The vet even told me how much of a difference in muscle tone that Piper had then Zeke. So I don't know of any of that could be related? The vet does seem confident these meds will work it just seems like he got a little better then went back downhill fast! So any advice or home remedies or whatever! I'm desperate for answers and I want this little guy to get better! And again I'm sorry for the length of this!

I have a vet appointment Thursday ( doc has been booked), I have talked to him over the phone and he has basically given up on Zeke. He even brought up euthanizing him. His hands are tied, he said if he isn't eating, any stronger antibiotic will hurt him more. He suggested I put Zeke on pedilyte (watered down) because he is not drinking. I don't want to give up on him, he is still playing and popcorning but he is still not wanting to eat or drink. I saw on here something about critical care but I noticed it has calcium in it. The doctor is wanting to run a urine test (if he can) to see if he has kidney stones (caused by too much calcium), would this hurt him? Anything else you guys could suggest would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The antibiotics are probably making his stomach upset. If he's not eating you need to hand/force feed him. Stop giving him the crappy food, it won't do him any good. Hopefully someone with more experience can weigh in on what might be wrong with him.
Also I just wanted to mention that chinchillas urine is normally a redish brown color, not yellow, so are you sure he actually has blood in his urine? It sounds like you might need a new vet too.

Thank you so much for replying! How do I force feed him? I've been giving him pedilyte through a syringe but like solid foods? I use oxbow essentials for my other chin but even when he was eating and drinking normally he still wouldn't touch it. Yes for sure it is blood, it's actually pure blood right now you can't see any urine through it. I have him peeing on a puppy pad so I can tell for sure. He also bled on his wooden ledge. I'm very limited on exotic vets and I do think he is trying his best but he might not deal with chinchillas too often. I have one other vet I'm trying to contact for a second opinion but he is an hour and half away which would be a stressful trip to make for a sick chin.

gahyqy2u.jpg

ze5yjy7u.jpg

These are my little guys urine but mostly it's all blood. The doctor said all he can do now is put him on a stronger antibiotic since the other antibiotic it's working but we are taking a chance of messing up his gut. He has done a urine test, all he could find was two different Bacteria so he said it was a bad UTI. If so shouldn't this antibiotic work? He is not crying when he pees. As you can see he is peeing big spots. I don't know what else to do for him, he is eating some on his own now but still not drinking any. This is the 3rd week he has been peeing blood.

Thank you! I do too! We are gonna start that higher antibiotic tomorrow so prayers would be appreciated!

What antibiotics was he on and what is he using now? Is he eating anything at this point? I would put him on probiotics asap! He may not be eating due to an upset stomach from the meds (which isn't uncommon). Probiotics help put the good bacteria back in to stimulate healthy bowels and appitite. I would find a local place that supplies critical care. It is a complete formula that you can syringe feed if he isn't eating well. Do you weigh him? If so has he lost any weight? Has a urine sample been run? They can do cultures on the urine to deterine what meds are needed to reat the infection. If the vet is suspecting stones a simple xray will show that. I would find another vet. Good vets are well worth the drive. If you tell us were you are located we can help search for experienced vets.

The Antibiotic was Ciprofloxacin 500 mg. I gave him 2 mL every 12 hours. He is eating very little but is eating some on his own. I order critical care 4 days ago suppose to be here tomorrow. He is on yogurt for his probiotics ( dr's orders) and also pedilyte (dr's orders) because he is not drinking any on his own. The doctor weighed him and he has lost weigh but I can't remember how much. Yes all that showed up in the urine test was two different bacteria which made the doctor think it is a bad UTI. He also said there would have been something to show if he had kidney stones which was not in the urine so he ruled kidney stones out. The next antibiotic is not even for exotics but it's the only thing next. The doctor is worried we are running out of time. I have tried another vet over the phone but all he wants to do is jump into surgery without even really listening to his symptoms. I have been researching different doctors on the internet. I'm two hours away from Chattanooga, TN, is the best way to explain it. The doctor I'm using now is in Chattanooga.

The antibiotic I picked up today is Orbax 22.7 Mg. I'll give him 1 mL once daily for 7 days.

While you're waiting for the critical care, grind up some of his pellets, sprinkle in the contents of a probiotic capsule (get from any pharmacy), and mix with water to give a runny consistency. Feed with a syringe or eye-dropper. If he fights, then you need to use the "burrito" technique. Use the forum search function to find tips on how to do this.

He needs an x-ray to rule out stones, plus the vet needs to get a sample of urine for bacterial resistance analysis. This will allow him/her to determine the best antibiotic to kill the bacteria causing the problem.

Don't wait on the force feeding- start right now, and aim for 100ml a day. Spread this out over a half-dozen feeds throughout the day.

And get an x-ray!! This should have been done first, and I honestly can't believe the vet didn't do one!!

Thank you so much for replying! I will request an X-ray as soon as I can get an appointment, which Zeke is on the emergency list, so it should be really quick. Thank you for all the tips!

Back