I has a question :3

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waysidecorpse

Anti Mod
So i'v been looking around at mutations and what not and even went to google to no luck ((believe it or not 9 out of 10 sites i went to recommended this website for answers)) but i was looking over them and because really interested in the Goldbar and Blue Diamond, now i have no doubt in my mind Boco is a standard and probably wont get to breed. but i was wondering how these mutations are made? as i can find which mutations to combine to get 90% of the other possible colors, those two are blank slates, so basically my question is.... how? I did do a little research and found out that Goldbars where first created from two standards but other then that nothing.

Blue Diamonds are genotypic for the recessive violet and sapphire genes. I'm not sure if the phenotype is a "codominant" expression of the genes or if the two genes create a new fur color all together. Breeding involves a complex process of pairing double carriers (such as Standards SCVC, Violet SC, or Sapphire VC) together.

The Goldbar is a recessive mutation that was found through what sounds like a chance occurrence. The parental standards were probably carriers.

You can use genetic cross calculators like these to help with your understanding. The first one lets you figure out how Blue Diamonds are bred. I'm not sure if Silverfall does; if it does, I haven't figured it out. Most of the time, you can figure it out with Punnet Squares though.
http://www.chinchillaklubben.dk/tools/colorcalc
http://www.silverfallchinchilla.com/genetics/ChinCrossCalculator.aspx

If any of this information is incorrect (I'm not a breeder, I just enjoy genetics), hopefully someone more experienced will amend it.

Last edited:
Goldbars and many of the other mutations came from standard appearing animals but they carried a recessive gene that when both parents have this gene they have a offspring with different coloring than they have. You will not get these other recessive colors unless the parents both carry the same recessive gene. You also will not get %90 of any one color when using a standard. You need to look up some of the genetic threads and do some research to get a better idea of colors are likely from what being bred to what.

Like I stated I have no desire to become a breeder although I am planning I getting another male chin so boco has a playmate provided they get along of course, but I have moments where I get curious about things and it drives me crazy till I get an answer and it was provided :) thank you.

Latest posts

Back