I got my dog! "Old Man" needs a new name :)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnShh

Some of you may have seen the thread I started on how I have been looking for a dog and trying to find a rescue without a ton of ridiculous requirements to go through (I understand the need for certain requirements, but some of them are too over the top, jmo.).
The rescue I volunteer for and have previously fostered for has brought several dogs to adoption events for me to meet who they thought might fit what I was looking for but so far the ones they brought out have all been small (like 12 lbs or less)... the more I thought about it, the more I knew that I really wouldn't be happy with a little dog. I've grown up with dogs 50+lbs and even though my house I rent has a weight limit, it's high enough that I could easily have a medium size dog.
It was suggested on here that I check out craigslist. I decided to put a listing up explaining what I was looking for to see if I got any responses. Not 10 minutes after I placed the ad, I got an email from someone telling me that they had found a senior male dog wandering the streets one night a couple weeks ago. They tried to find an owner but nobody claimed him and they think he was dumped because of the area they live in and how matted he was. He had a collar that was rusted with no tags. She didn't want to take him to the shelter because she was afraid they would be put down, but her family couldn't afford to keep 2 dogs. She saw my ad not long after posting an ad for him herself and thought maybe it was meant to be.
Today I drove 5 hours round trip to meet him. I was really hesitant to because I was worried he would be too big (he looked big in the pictures) but the lady promised me that he was only knee-high on her so I took a chance. Something in my heart told me to go look at him.
Let me tell you, this dog is so sweet. From what I could tell he is a really good dog. A little nervous of loud noises (she had little kids), but he was well behaved. He's old but I have no idea how old. He still had spunk in him when we brought him outside and he didn't appear to be stiff or anything so perhaps he's not as old as he looks.
I am picking him up on Sunday, Aug 5th since I'm going out of town and didn't want to kennel him right away. He has a vet appointment for the 6th and a grooming appointment on the 7th. I can't wait to get him home.

So, they've been calling him "Old Man River" but he definitely needs a new name. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 154
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 155
Glory, as in "Glory Hallelelujah! I've found two angels! One who has fostered me and now one who is giving me a loving life for the last while that I am here on earth." God bless you for your open heart.:hug2:

Change of plans... he's coming home this Sunday! I changed his vet appointment to this Monday, and the groomer had a cancellation at the last minute and is able to see him on Tuesday.

Any recommendations for a good but reasonably priced dog bed? I wasn't impressed with the ones I saw at Petsmart and TSC.

Rusty. :) (Guess that Breed entry: Sheltie mix.)

Best dog bed for an older guy might be to get an inexpensive kiddie pool and cut down one edge to reduce the step up, then fill it with old towels and blankets so he can dig around. It's also easy to cut a hole in the side to run a heating pad cord through should he start to show signs of arthritis etc. Though, in my house, they all tend to end up on the bed anyway...

Hmm he does look like a chief to me. Maybe even a Harley?? Dog bed wise for my rotti we have a kong dog bed from petsmart( I worked there so got it cheap) but it does hold up very well and is easily washed. I have also heard good things about the kurunda beds, that they are very durable and long lasting, but if your new doggy is older it might be a little high off the ground.

Rusty. :) (Guess that Breed entry: Sheltie mix.)

Best dog bed for an older guy might be to get an inexpensive kiddie pool and cut down one edge to reduce the step up, then fill it with old towels and blankets so he can dig around. It's also easy to cut a hole in the side to run a heating pad cord through should he start to show signs of arthritis etc. Though, in my house, they all tend to end up on the bed anyway...

Hmm... now that I relook at the picture, I could see him being a sheltie mix. It would explain his smaller size... the lady who found him is 5'3" and he's only knee high on her.

Chief is a cute name. Funny enough, that's a nickname one of my friends calls me by.

So far, my list includes: Bo, Shadow, Leo, Gramps, Hokie, Jerry (not sure I'm a fan but my dad insists that it's a good name haha), Trooper, and Chief. We'll see what he's like once he's actually home. I'm sure after a few days the right name will come to me. Although I did have to laugh this morning when the vet called to confirm "Old Man's" appointment.

Back