I dont know if my chin is pregnant

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brittney3511

Hi, I'm Brittney and am relatively new to owning chins. I have a grey female that I have had for a year and a a half and a beige male that I've had for a year. They've always gotten along with the occasional fight. Now my female only wants to lay in her home and will kick him out, hog food, nd be a bit snippy. She also makes a kind of growling noise at him. She's always been kind of chunky but her weights been changing lately. Its very unlike her to be laying around all the time and I'm just wondering if someone can help me in anyway to figure out what's going on with her

Greetings Brittany,
In addition to the weight gain here is a tip or two. When she stands with her front feet up her tummy will show a "baby bump". It is a little different than if she is just getting fat, in that it will be more defined. The other way we check is to blow into the fur and find the nipples. When a new females gets pregnant her nipples will become pink and protrude long before she starts getting milk. As she gets close to littering you may be able to see the babies move when she is laying on her side and her nipples will become swollen. Just a few days before she litters the babies usually drop and then she will have hollows on each side just in front of her hind leg. That being said every one is different of course and these things do not always manifest themselves. Best of luck to you.

OOOPs Brittney, So sorry I spelled your name incorrectly.:cry3:

Last edited by a moderator:
Were you wanting to breed them to begin with? If not, you need to be sure to remove the male from the female as soon as possible! Even if you are meaning to breed them, you might want to do some more research on breeding chins before you start. Having a male and female together will most likely always end up in a pregnancy from what I hear. :-/

Also, if she is pregnant she needs to be in a baby safe cage and you will want to make sure the male doesn't have access to her while she is nursing because getting her pregnant again at that stage will result in a nutrition deficiency for both her, the kits she's nursing, and the kits she is carrying and can lead to malo.

They should be separated now. It is possible for a female to get pregnant a second time while still carrying a litter. They have two uterine horns that makes it possible. Also, the male will attempt to breed her right after she delivers and by the time you notice babies the deed is already done. This is called a breed back and it is bad for the mother and kits.

Not to mention if she is being aggressive there is a chance of her really hurting him if you dont separate. Id buy a medium cage that is baby proof to keep her in and mark 111 days on the calender.

PS I noticed their age changed from your first post, if she is the 6 months, she isnt fully grown yet and shouldnt be with the male anyhow.

Thank you for all the help. She is in a baby proof cage now. And no I wasn't meaning to breed. We were told he was a female also. She's a little over a year old and he's about 7 months

Im no expert or anything but the boys have huge boy parts, how did you not notice?? Well doesn't really matter now. Happy Pregnancy and I hope all goes well for momma and her kits.

Im no expert or anything but the boys have huge boy parts, how did you not notice?? Well doesn't really matter now. Happy Pregnancy and I hope all goes well for momma and her kits.

I disagree with that. I had my male for over 4 months (was told he was a female) and then one day I saw my plush balls hanging down low. I never saw them before.

No, Orville is fine.

When I had The Snuggler neutered, Dr. Fitzgerald said, "Man, he had some giant 'nads"!!!

I miss his and Mr. Whiskers' LPCBs. Now, only Little Two Paws has them.

Not all males have huge genitals, in fact most do not.

Exactly and they can retract them up into their body so I imagine some boys are just shier than others. =P That or the room temp is cooler haha. My first chin was a male and I never saw any fuzzy lumps hanging down, didn't see him clean him self for the first 6 months either. Man was that a shocker.

My current boy seems to always have one hanging out and one retracted partially... -.-

Latest posts

Back