I brought home my Chinbaby today!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lynnengreatdanes

YAY! :clap: I am now the proud mommy to a little girl beige chin . We have decided to call her Tohru, from the manga Fruits Basket. Hubby Ray wants to get another already, he says she looks lonely in that big cage! Any idea how long I should wait until I bring another baby in? I was thinking a few months, let Tohru get used to being home with us and more secure, then bring another baby into the family.
She really is just the cutest lil thing! I let her have a small dust bath this afternoon, set up her lava perches that I bought spur of the moment thing, etc.
So far she seems content to stay on 2 shelves rather than exploring, which I am also assuming is normal for her first night at home. YAY chins!

Congratulations on the new chin!

Bringing a new one home can be anytime, whether it's now or later. Having a cage mate may help her to settle in easier, but it's up to you really.

Congrats on the new Chinbaby!
It may be easier to introduce chins when they are babies, so if you want to get another one, I would not wait for that long.
Good luck with everything!

thanks sooo much! I will tell hubby that he is right then lol, because he sincerly wanted a 2nd today and I told him to wait a while.

20090615_13.jpg

20090615_18.jpg

Congratulations! Tohru is adorable and will most likely settle in quickly! She looks quite content munching away :)

she's really cute.. thanks for the pics.

oh and is that plastic shelving in the cage, you might want to take that out because of the way chins chew, and it can cause an obstruction and can cause death.. Get some KD pine shelves..Don't mean to bust your bubble but don't want to see your baby get hurt.

Jean

AWWW..Sooo Cute and Congrats!! Agree with the watch the plastic comment. I have a chewer and had to get rid of all the plastic that was in his cage, including his wheel (bought a "quality cage" metal wheel). Enjoy your sweet new baby, Tohru!!

She is a doll! I would get another one right now...ha. But also remember to do quarantine if you get them from different places. A quick search on the forum should come up with a lot of info on that. Congrats!

What a cutie. I, too, would get another one right away if you already know you want a second one. Then no one will have the "home court advantage". You know, they'll both be new the same time. Might lessen the territorial attitude.

thanks so much! I love her to pieces already ! we had a small bit of out time this morning ,about 10 minutes ,and she looked POOPED but is now having wheel zoomie time, shes like the energizer chin or something. I think its all the extra room she has here hehe. yes the cage has plastic shelving, I havent seen her chew it yet, she seems to go after the wood chews, lava ledges and pumice stone a LOT which is fine with me, but thanks for the heads up, I will definately keep an eye on things ( yeah.. like you can get me away from the cage anyway..) My kids love her but I am being a mean mom and have not let them hold her, I have allowed a bit of supervised petting while I am holding her and of course quiet cage watching but I want tohru to get acclimated to her new home first before a lot of holding goes on.
Tohru seems to love her food and hay, but didnt seem to know what in the world to do with the dust bath i gave her yesterday, she gave it one roll and got right back out. PFT lol, maybe thursday I will try again, I dont want her skin to dry out. If I can hold off till thursday.. I might wensday, its humid and nasty out and I dont want her to get too oily either, even with the a/c on although I have it set at 69 in here.
I havent seen her drink ANY water and she is super active, but then again maybe she drank last night while I was in bed. I bought a glass waterbottle with a ducky float inside to help moniter the waterline ^^.

If you'll like to keep the plastic shelves for the time being, you can always cover them with fleece. The wood shelves are safer and double as a safe chewing toy too!

Welcome to the Chin-hood! :D You'll learn a lot from CnH!

is fleece ok? I was thinking of getting some but I thought it might cause a blockage if she ate it o_O.

a question, she seems to prefer sleeping on the shelves rather than in the 2 houses I bought her, is that ok? right now shes snoozing right next to her food dish..

Fleece is okay! Alot of people here use it, it looks great and cleanup is really easy!!

Congrats on the new chinnie she's gorgeous!! Go for it if you wanna get a 2nd one! They are rather addicting!

She's adorable! Congratulations! Some chins don't bother the plastic but if you notice any knicks then I would definitly remove them, still you may want to make or get some chin safe wood ledges or perches and of course wood chew toys for her. Oh and I love the name you chose, very unique.

Congratulations. You have a beautiful girl there. I am most partial to beiges!

Latest posts

Back