I am going insane trying to pick a wheel for my chin...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have only ever used saucers, but I love them. Even my 3 year old boy whose only exercise before he came to live here was "the ball"...figured it out pretty quick. I really like that the whole entire surface of the saucer is metal, and therefore easy to sanitize.

It's good to know the powder coating isn't important. I thought maybe it protected it from rusting or something, so thank you for adding that in:) I'm still waiting for it, though:( They called a week after I paid and said they sent the wrong one (powder coated instead) so had to call that one back and send out the right one the next day. That was Monday I believe, so hopefully I get in soon-I'm really excited to see Sunny on it! And take pics-I don't take enough pics of him!

I just got a Chin Spin for Jemma with no powder coating from QC and set it up just now and she LOVES it. Within 5 minutes after she investigated it and sniffed and sat in it, she is running like there is no tomorrow. She's usually pretty picky about what is put in her cage so I was nervous about trying it, but now I can't wait to start saving up for one for Zim :)

That's very good to know. Sunny's never had a wheel and I was afraid he'd never like it, but you're easing my worries:) I just wish it would get here already! I'm so anxious to stick it in his cage and see what he does. And if it ends up being too loud for my sleeping, I'll stick some earplugs in, lol! I just want him to be as happy and healthy as possible, aand I know a wheel can entertain him a LOT if he gives it a chance.

Placement?!

I found it out on my front porch right after posting that, duh:p It's so big, lol! I guess I didn't comprehend how big 15 inches was-another duh for me! But it will fit in his cage easy in a couple different spots, but I was wondering about the placement of it. I know there should be enough space on the sides and top where if he tried to climb ontop and slid down, he couldn't get stuck. The directions say to put it close to the floor, though. How close should I put it?! He's not a baby anymore, so I believe he can't get through an inch space.

I was just wondering how much space you left on the bottom of your wheels. Should I put it close to the floor like it says, or raise it up a few inches? I'm a paranoid chinchilla-mommy:(

I have a flying saucer too, and my Miko figured it out, no problem. I still have problems with her shaking the cage loudly at night! I tried reinforcing my cage with some wood lengths, but no go. how does putting a block under the wheel keep the cage from shaking?

I have one chin with a Flying Saucer and two with Chin Spins. I find that for me the Chin Spin is more quiet than the Saucer.

I also do not like that when my chin runs on the FS she is on a slight angle and one leg is higher than the other. I also think that the other chins get up to a higher speed on the Chin Spins.

I am leading up to a big cage change for all of them and will substitute a Chin Spin the the FS in a few months. I plan to sell the used FS. I prefer the Chin Spin.

If you want the Chin Spin, I have them on my site and I have both sizes 11" and 15". Whichever size you think will work better for your chin. Also I can put it on a layaway plan so that you can make payments whatever works for you. Either way both wheels are great from what I have heard, but I only have experience with the Chin Spin.

Back