I am allergic to kaytee hay

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selfprodigy

Wishes chin poop was gold
The chins get a mix of alfalfa hay, orchard, and Timothy hay. I try to avoid kaytee but in those times were we run out and the only store open is walmart you make do with what you can.

For whatever reason the kaytee Timothy hay makes my arms instantly break out in hives. I sneeze and I just can't handle it without gloves. The Kaytee Timothy hay seems to be the only one that has this effect on me other brands do not. Even the kaytee alfalfa hay seems to be okay.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

You may be allergic to timothy grass and not alfalfa. I know I personally am. I have no idea why you would only be allergic to one brand of it, though. Maybe it is something with their curing process or there is more dust in their hay, which would spread the allergens around the air more and increase your exposure to them. My advice would be to treat it like an allergy, which it sounds like it could be and an allergy to timothy grass specifically is common. This may include taking an antihistamine everyday, using gloves (like you do), having someone else give the hay if you can find someone, making sure to wash your hands well after handling the hay etc. Of course, if you don't have symptoms with other brands then your easiest solution would be to avoid Kaytee.

I know how it is ,having to use Kaytee if nothing else available but I swear I think they dye their timothy! I try to feed Oxbow now if at all possible because there is such a major difference in the quality between the two.My horse won't even eat Kaytee leftovers(you know the stuff at the bottom of the box) but he snarfs down every tiny piece of the Oxbow and he'll eat about anything.That's why I think something is definitely different about Kaytee hay.

Kaytee is a LOT more dusty than some of the other hays!
I have the same problem with Kaytee vs other brands, as does my son who has asthma. I can feed Oxbow and he is fine, but if I feed Kaytee (in a pinch), it sends him into an attack every time, even with him wearing a mask. I only feed Oxbow or I ordered some hay from Farmer Dave a few weeks ago and he does fine around these two brands.

I have noticed the same thing - I can stick my head in the oxbow bag of tim and farm tim and it takes a long time for me to respond, but Kaytee hay its almost instantaneous.

mental note to not buy Kaytee brand hay.........
Thanks for the heads up!

I'm glad im not the only one with issues. I used to buy the stuff because it always looked fresh. Slowly i learned how terrible it really was.

Latest posts

Back