I almost lost one of my hamster today

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinnmyheart

Today was a regular day our hamster (Hammy) was active. Like any other day and all the suddenly she started to jerk and she look like she was dying and her body was becoming stiff!

We all freaked out and we her for only a one month I think.. So we were really emotional.

Anyways I dicided to do mouth to mouth cpr. And I revived her.. And gave her water.. I was trying to figure out why she was so weak and walked wierd and twisted she couldn't stand up..

So I took her to the vet. Yes, I know tiny but I didn't care we all very attached to our hamsters.

It was expensive but worth it.. She wasn't eating and was dehydrated because she lost her top teeth. They will grow eventually but she needed food..

She is looking much better now but little weak but not like before..

Hope she lives longer for us!

Last edited:
I can't imagine doing cpr on a hamster! I think it's wonderful that your efforts paid off! Do you have any idea why he lost his teeth?

No I don't have any idea! She broke it once, now it her second time.. She must of bit something really hard.. I had my boys take out some plastic stuff they put in.. But she still manage to break her tooth.. So I have no idea.. Vet says it tends to happened on some. And just to grind food like I usually do and hopefully she will eat that and ween the other stuff I am giving her.. Right now I am giving her critical care.. So she can get food in..

That must of been scary, I can't imagine seeing my hamster go through that. I'm glad she's doing a little better now and is more active since you've gotten her on CC. Hope she gets better :(

What kind of hamster is she?

IDK, ask the vet, but I am wondering if she would benefit from having a tiny crumb of tums? Maybe the extra calcium would help her teeth grow in faster??
ETA or maybe that bird cuttle bone?

Last edited:
I can't believe that I did mouth to mouth CPR either! But I was like come on live for me.. I hate seeing animals die.. But if she lives through this I say it was worth giving her CPR!

Thank you Jessica.. She is a Chinese dwarf hamster.

Here's two pictures of Hammy. She loves to cuddle on our necks..

2012-05-03_162754.jpg

2012-04-25_122239.jpg

Dwarfs are adorable! I've never seen hamsters cuddle on someone like that, she must really love you guys.

It was definitely worth giving her CPR, it's amazing you did! Especially on such a small animal!

Me and Dede are rooting for Hammy to get better -

ForHammy.jpg

Dwarfs are adorable! I've never seen hamsters cuddle on someone like that, she must really love you guys.

It was definitely worth giving her CPR, it's amazing you did! Especially on such a small animal!

ForHammy.jpg

aww so cute! Thank you Jess!:)

aww so cute! Thank you Jess!:)

Here's a picture of Hammy and Spidey, when we first got them..

Forgot picture ...
2012-03-08_124644.jpg

So sorry that happened...

Once my dog jumped off the boat in the lake.. my dad scooped him up and brought him back on. The dog wasn't moving. My dad then did CPR on the dog and revived him.. We had to take him to the vet that night because he wasn't acting right. Turns out there was water in his lungs.

After an overnight visit, he was back to normal and alive! Amazing that CPR can be given to animals.

So sorry that happened...

Once my dog jumped off the boat in the lake.. my dad scooped him up and brought him back on. The dog wasn't moving. My dad then did CPR on the dog and revived him.. We had to take him to the vet that night because he wasn't acting right. Turns out there was water in his lungs.

After an overnight visit, he was back to normal and alive! Amazing that CPR can be given to animals.

Wow! Good for your dad! I can't imagine doing it on a dog. but when we love our animals like a switch that turns on. And you will do anything to save them...
Good you got that checked out. How the vet take out the water out of his lungs?

Awww! What a adorable pair! Are they both still paired together through this all? Super cute names!

Wow Ben, that must of been terrifying. I'm glad your dad was there to help him back in the boat right away, even better that the CPR saved him!

*sniffle* this thread is getting sad lol

I don't know all the details, I just know he was put on oxygen. I know this because it was part of the $400-$600 bill (I don't remember, this was about a year ago). I've heard of much higher bills for chinchillas and such.. but still that's is a big chunk of change.

Oh and I left out the sad part of the story. About 6 months ago, he got hit by a car by the friend of the neighbor girl. Speeding down our side street. We still have his brother, who just isn't the same since it happened.

I should have just left that part out and had it be a happy ending. :(

Oh no, I'm sorry Ben :( He may be gone, but not forgotten. Best wishes for your family, it's so heart breaking losing a loved family memeber :(

I've done mouth to mouth on one of my pet rats before when she was gasping for air :). My family told me it was gross, but she was my pet. I'd do it again in a heartbeat! Im surprised you can do that with a hamster!

Sorry haven't post updates... I was just so emotional Friday because my other hamster spidey died. She had fall accident, and I cried so hard, even now writing this makes me sad. Because just when I tried to save one. I lost the other....

Now she is alone and she was digging all around the cage under her bedding trying to find her sister for comfort when she needed it the most.

For now I am trying to pretend that I given her to someone and she is happy. That way I don't have to feel sad all the time.. And I don't want to think or say about anymore. Or I cry all day it not good for me or my family and my pets..

addictedtochins How is Hammy?

She doing so much better! She gained wieght.. And today, I put her wheel back in and she ran really fast. And she been eating on her own.. I will be asking vet if I should continue to hand feed her critical care. Also vet came me some medication and one was for kill bad bacteria. I know that also kills good bacteria so i don't know how to get her to eat a small amount of acidophilus. Will have ask the vet monday morning.

ReneeM I've done mouth to mouth on one of my pet rats before when she was gasping for air . My family told me it was gross, but she was my pet. I'd do it again in a heartbeat! Im surprised you can do that with a hamster!

I think when u are attach to an animal you care about it the first thing you want to do save them. I don't think it gross... It was worth it! :wink2:

BenD188- sorry to hear that your died. It ok I asked.. Sometimes good ending can have a bad ending like in my case...

But for now I am keeping myself strong for hammy...

Latest posts

Back