Hurt paw?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
X

xpokey77x

Just after I went to bed last night I heard a funny sound come from the cage. A noise made by one of the chins but I'm not sure who made it. (This is really just why I got up to look, not necessarily related.) I got up to look but nothing looked like it was wrong. Then my little boy came over to see what I was doing and he was favoring his right front paw. He'll let me touch it and I don't see any external injuries but he was being careful with it. I also gently touched his shoulder to see if that was sore but he was fine with that also. He will hold a treat with it and gently rest it on the cage bars but not much and it kind of holding close to his chest. This morning he is still holding it to his chest. Is it maybe just tender from stepping on something or is it more serious and needs xrays? I'm not sure how serious this is. He's acting normal otherwise. Any suggestions?

The fact that he is showing any sign shows that he is in pain. I'd take him in for x-rays just in case something happened. Chins are prey animals so they hide sickness and pain as a defense.

Either way, you'll never know if it's bad or not until the x-rays are taken

Good luck!

His vet isn't open today. Does he need to go to the emergency hospital? I'm a bit worried that he might get hurt worse while I try to catch him because his cage is huge.

His vet isn't open today. Does he need to go to the emergency hospital? I'm a bit worried that he might get hurt worse while I try to catch him because his cage is huge.

In the least, put him in a smaller cage, even a cat carrier would be fine-or take all the ledges out of his cage. He needs to be somewhere that he cannot make it worse. No ledges, wheels hammocks etc.-just one level.

I'd try to get him in earlier rather than later...just to be safe

Bah! After I posted I went to look at him and realized that he was holding the other paw to his chest. Not the same one as last night. And he's walking on both of them. Maybe I was just misreading him and he was just tucking his hands in? I put him in the small cage just in case without any ledges or hammocks and I'm going to keep an eye on him. I don't know if he was faking me out or if I panicked over nothing (which I frequently do). You guys are right though. better safe than sorry with these little guys.

Chins sometimes sleep with a paw in the air close to their body. I've seen it often. But you are right, better be safe than sorry!

I had a chin start doing this, and it turned out to be a sore between two of her toes. You might want to check for any sort of sores on the paws, just to be sure!;)

Latest posts

Back