Hurt leg ! Need advice !

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpage

Hi, I have a brand new hedgie about 3 months old and we just got her only about 4 days ago. The other day, we noticed her right frong leg looked really swollen and slightly red. We called the pet store and are keeping an eye on it and it doesnt seem to be going down. We checked for the thread around the leg and her cage doesnt have wiring to get caught it so were at a loss. Shes walking and everything just find but is much grumpier these days. I really dont know what to do !

You need to take her to a vet. If she has an injury or possible infection, a vet intervention is necessary.

It is impossible for any one here to determine the nature of the swelling, she needs to go to a veterinarian for examination. This could be a variety of things, anything from a little bruising, to a hairline fracture, or something worse. Hedgehogs hide illness and pain very well. I had one who had a very bad sprain. She was running full speed on her wheel when I picked her up and discovered her foot was double the size it should have been.

Please take her to a vet immediately! Its possible that you could end up with a 3-legged hedgie if you don't - swelling could cut off blood supply to the leg. :(
Keep us updated, I hope everything goes ok.

Yes a vet will be best - besides a wellness check for your hedgie is important in their early years especially if you are new to the species. Where are you located? There is a list of vets here as well as many of us who may have recommendations. Please let us know how it goes.

Back