Hunchback

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caiti

I have looked at all the threads I could find about hunchback chins. I have googled it to find clear pictures. But I just can't find a goof enough picture, especially one that is side by side with a normal chin picture.

I am worried my chin has a hunched back. She doesn't have any other symptoms. I know most of the causes are malnutrition, pain and liver disease but I can't see overt signs of any of these. She is a steady weight at 590 grams and is approximately 2.5 years old (she's a CL chin so I really don't know). Her spine seems to have a small, but steep arch right below what I would call her nape, I guess--right where her cranial shoulder blades are. I know she was fed Kaytee food and had a rather small wheel she used constantly with her previous owner who had her for 6 months. Her owner before that I have no idea about.

Does anyone have any good pictures of a chin with a hunched back and a normal chin? Can a chin get an irreversible hunchback and if so, how common is this? I've attached some and put in others of the best pictures I could find, which aren't great. Every time I try to take my camera out now she either perks up and moves or is sleeping in her house or something. The pictures are massive, I apologize but I don't really want to figure out how to resize them right now to be honest. Thanks.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• bed5.jpg
    bed5.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 18
  • hamcorner2.jpg
    hamcorner2.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 18
I have some old bad quality pics of Meegus who had hepatic lipidosis from sudden anorexia from malo and giardia

The upper left is her prior, next to it is prior to diagnosis, bottom left is at the start of treatment, the bottom right is approx 2 months after treatment.

IMO your chin does not look like hunchback, she looks healthy to me in the pics.

Attachments

• meegushun.jpg
    meegushun.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Hi Caiti,

I can show you a pic of my girl. Hers seems definitely more pronounced than Chloe's, if Chloe has one at all. I took her to the vet and they thought, in this chin's case, it was a birth defect since she was generally healthy.

katesphone2076.jpg

Thanks, guys. I figured because she's otherwise healthy also, a vet might say the same thing, Kate. I feel like chins look like they have a weirdly curved spine normally so it's hard to tell what is abnormal.

The pictures really helped too.

Back