Humping?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I came into a bonded pair of males 3 weeks ago;
Dusty - 6 and the dominate one of the pair
Stitch -2 and super submissive
I was told by the previous owner that the have the occasion fight and mount each other from time to time as even the best of friends have their disputes.
Since coming to us, there have been only a few "fights" which is Dusty coming to the kibble dish where Stitch is eating -**** bark and Stitch will move and go do something else,letting him have it. And Dusty has "playfully" mounted Stitch (no humping).

BUT, They were just having playtime, and Dusty mounted Stitch, humped a couple times..Stitch got away.. Then Dusty was on a box, Stitch was underneath it and Dusty LEAPED at Stitch an immediately started going to town... ill be honest I couldnt stop laughing because of this massive jump n mount with such coordination by Dusty...

I got Stitch a few minutes later, and I found a mat on Stitch's haunch --he came to us with a TON, and this morning i thought he was mat free and is VERY patient with the removal process and enjoys it--Sure enough when i started to get rid of it...I realized it was a "byproduct" of Dusty's...

Any suggestions on how to curb this behavior?

Im looking into getting them a CuddleBuddy for them. They are both males (i know this 100%), and share a cage (2 tiered FN cage). Do I get just one CuddleBuddy or two? (dont want to cause fights over it, but Dusty may just be Dusty and claim them both...)

Advice? This is my first time with boys, I had a female for 10 yrs.
Thanks Guys and Gals!

Cut his whiskers short. Only leave about half an inch. Maybe by the time it grows out he'll have gotten past this. If he doesn't, you can trim them again.

Latest posts

Back