Humidity?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shenanigans

I am a new chin owner, so i apoligize if this is miscatagorized. I wasnt sure if it should be here or in new owner. My chin has a basement room with ac, but the humidity is going to get up to 97% tonight. Ive had an ac/dehumidifyer running all day, but it's still risen to 67% humidity in the basement by him, which is the coolest and least humid part of the house (73% outside the house). I'm just worried about how much humidity my boy can stand and how well the ac will dehumidify everything. The chin was set up on the ground floor, but those windows have been seeming to let in a lot of humidity. (I've been useing a temp/humidity sensor near his cage, but out of chewing range) Im just a very worried new owner/mom.
I've read the add to 150 thing, but thats all I seem to be able to find on humidity, but I also know I hate too much humidity and these guys are from a dry place, so they likely wouldn't like 50 degrees with 95% humidity.
I apprecate any tips.

The 150 rule is SO wrong that those that came up with it should retract it, if the rule was correct-add temp plus humidity and if its less than 150 chin is good, NOT. That would mean if the temp was 95 and the humidity was 40, like it is were I live my chins would be fine.

I knew the 150 was bogus because high temperature alone can make them have a heatstroke, and I assume it would be the same way with 100% humidity regardless of temperature. Unfortunately the 150 rule was about all I found googleing humidity to see what I could do if the ac didn't keep up. It was able to keep it at 65% humidity, but I was up all night worrying. I don't usually watch humidity predictions but 97% seemed very high. Thank you for the dust bath tip, he'll love it.

You could also run an extra dehumidifier down there. Keep it away from where your chin is though, as for whatever reason, they generate heat.

Latest posts

Back