Humidity

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lillybabe

I have searched the forum but can't seem to find a straight answer to my question. So, I thought I'd make a thread so I can ask people for their input. When getting the girls I got a thermometer that shows both temperature and humidity. I am not sure however what is the appropriate level for the girls as far as humidity go. I know it is recommended that chins stay below 70 degrees and that 75+ can be dangerous. I can't find a conclusive number on humidity though.

I live in Illinois, it is a very humid state. We have moisture in the air and humidity year round. I am not sure if I need a dehumidifier for the girls or what the risks of higher humidity are. I fear using a dehumidifier as it may make the temperature in the room higher which could be more dangerous than humidity. I had my little guy in the same conditions for about five years and I never noticed any issues due to humidity but he was also a malo chin who did not groom himself well. If the main issues humidity causes are in their fur I am not sure I would have noticed with him.

The girls seem happy and healthy, and their coats look good. I am however still worried. Having a malo chin before them has made me a bit paranoid. So, what humidity levels do you all keep your chins at? What are the risks? What range do I have to work with? Are there steps I can take other than just a dehumidifier?

I don't let the humidity level where my chins are at get over 50-55% in the summer, so I run a dehumidifier only during those months. The rest of the year the humidity levels in my basement are lower than 45%. Currently, it's at 38%. When we had our basement finished, we made sure that there would be good air flow down there since we have a few bedrooms down there as well. Below is some info I found on indoor air quality and humidity.

http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/factsheets/indoorairqualityguide_fs.htm

Humidity and Temperature

There is no “ideal” humidity level and temperature suitable for all building occupants. Many factors, such as personal activity and clothing may affect personal comfort. Acceptable relative humidity levels should range from 20 percent to 60 percent year-round. Levels less than 20 percent in the winter and greater than 60 percent in the summer should be considered unacceptable. Elevated relative humidity can promote the growth of mold, bacteria, and dust mites, which can aggravate allergies and asthma.

http://www.cdc.gov/mold/dampness_facts.htm

Thank you Sandi. Right now the termometer is telling me it is about 64 degrees with 60% humidity. This is why I was wondering if I ought to be concerned. The chinchilla cage is currently between two windows. The room they are in is on the corner of the house and they are in the corner of the room. With the way the closet and the door are located it's the only place in the room the Ferret Nation 142 fits. I can try covering the windows with essentially plastic wrap. There's this stuff we've used other places in the house to keep in out cold air. I am not sure if that would help. It's an older home which means it's a little draftier. I am actually cold at 64 degrees myself. It feels chilly in the room to me. The heat is set at 68 or 69 in the house but this room rarely gets that warm.

At that humidity level, I would offer more frequent dust baths to the chins.

We have moisture in the air and humidity year round. I am not sure if I need a dehumidifier for the girls or what the risks of higher humidity are. I fear using a dehumidifier as it may make the temperature in the room higher which could be more dangerous than humidity.

Depending on the size of the room and how long the dehumidifier needs to run it could raise the temperature by 3-8 degrees, which wouldn't be bad in your case right now.

Okay, I will offer dust baths a bit more and I'm going to try to seal the windows up some in the next few days. We'll see if that doesn't bring the humidity level down. Also it snowed today. The humidity level has been in the 50-55% range before today when it snowed. Maybe I'd just need a dehumidifier on rainy/snowy days? I just don't want the girls to be unhealthy. The information you found said that 40-60% was the proper humidity to prevent mold and to be comfortable to humans. I just wasn't sure what was best for a chinchilla.

Latest posts

Back