how to treat branches

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperDuper ChinnieBaby

I was thinking of making my chinchilla a perch type branch thing that goes from one side to the other side of the cage, but i dont no how to treat it as it will be so long.. its going to be 3 ft long and 2 inch thick. how would I do so... and I heard mountain ash is ok for chinchillas can I get input on that as well, thats whatt i was going to use for the branch, Any input in greatly appreciated

As far as I can tell ash wood is safe, but the seeds might not be, but chins shouldn't eat seeds anyway. As far as preparing a 3 ft long branch, unless you have a very large oven then I don't see a safe way of preparing it. Wood needs to be cleaned and at least baked, some people also boil before baking too. You need a way to heat it up hot enough to kill any thing that might be living inside the wood, so either boiling or baking.
Rather then making one perch I'd cut the branch into pieces and have 3 one foot perches, or 6 six inch ones or however you want to cut it up. That way they are small enough to fit in the oven to bake. Also I'm sure the chin would like having multiple perches more then just having a single one.

Another thing to remember is the wood used needs to have never been sprayed with chemicals. Trees trap the chemicals in the wood for a very long time, some decades to forever, depending on the chemicals used. Even in small amounts (too small to work to repel/kill bugs anymore) it can make a chin sick or die.

As far as I can tell ash wood is safe, but the seeds might not be, but chins shouldn't eat seeds anyway. As far as preparing a 3 ft long branch, unless you have a very large oven then I don't see a safe way of preparing it. Wood needs to be cleaned and at least baked, some people also boil before baking too. You need a way to heat it up hot enough to kill any thing that might be living inside the wood, so either boiling or baking.
Rather then making one perch I'd cut the branch into pieces and have 3 one foot perches, or 6 six inch ones or however you want to cut it up. That way they are small enough to fit in the oven to bake. Also I'm sure the chin would like having multiple perches more then just having a single one.

Another thing to remember is the wood used needs to have never been sprayed with chemicals. Trees trap the chemicals in the wood for a very long time, some decades to forever, depending on the chemicals used. Even in small amounts (too small to work to repel/kill bugs anymore) it can make a chin sick or die.

What if I where to cut it and drill it back together.. also how long would u suggest I cook it for... and the tree is in my grandmothers back yard she planted it long ago and doesn't believe in chemicals at all so I know its safe. As for your idea with small ones I'm already doing that as well.. lol.. I went got some lumber at home hardware his cage is looking great now... and the small purches will be put up as soon as its cut cooked and ready hopfully soon.
All I'm missing now are chew sticks.. what I'm having lots of trouble getting cuz my bankcard won't let me order over the internet and petstores don't have any sticks. And I'm unable so far to find anyone that I can pay n they mail to me.. but as soon as that's figured out his cage is yet. I'm so excited for the finishing touches and to see the over all after its all done

This thread http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41 tells you how to prepare wood. I guess I forgot to add that. I'm not sure about cutting and drilling back together, it might work, but could also create weak points where it's connected. Personally I wouldn't trust that, for one side to the other I used 3 foot lengths of 2in pine boards, that way I know it's solid and no need to worry about preparing the wood.

One idea for buying online that I found worked before I got a card that worked online is to use prepaid visa or master cards (like the gift cards found at grocery stores or pharmacies). Also CAA and Canada post both have refillable cards (I can't remember if they are visa or master card) that you just put money on and they work just like a credit card.

Back