How to say no.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJR

the dreamer
My friend works at a pet store nearby that breeds all of their animals, including chins, in house. The chins are your typical pet-store door stoppers (a term I made up because the chins are wedge shaped... I don't like the term "rat-faced" because I like rats ;))).

Anyway, I was talking to the owner about his animals and I showed him some pictures of Bessie as an example of a "better quality" animal. Granted, Bessie isn't anywhere near perfect, but she's not a door stopper either.

His reaction was, "Wow, she's beautiful!" and then, "You should let me breed her."

He offered me $100 to breed her, plus 25% of the selling price of her kits. I told him, flat out, that there was no way I am going to breed Bess. I don't have the experience, HE doesn't have the experience, none of his animals have pedigrees, he doesn't even care for the animals properly, I could go on and on.

Problem is, he wouldn't stop bugging me about it. Every time I'd come to the store (I come socialize the animals), he'd be like "So change your mind about your female yet?", "How's Bess doing?", "I just got a really nice male.", crap like that.

I don't know how common this situation is, but to anyone who is ever offered it... be strong. If you love your chinnie, the money just isn't going to be worth it.

I have stopped going to the pet store as a result of his constant nagging. Thank goodness he doesn't have my phone number.

Good job! I would have told him she had to have an emergency spay (for health reasons or something). He can't bug you for something he thinks you don't have. ;)

I have had people make me offers like that in the past. It isn't worth it to get trapped in a financial situation like that because it will always end badly. One person will end up feeling totally taken advantage of in some way. And, breeding a chin shouldn't be something that anyone should assume is going to make them money. The guy is dumb as a post if he thinks that he's going to recover that $100 anytime soon. Chins have a long gestation period and then they nurse the kits for a couple months. We're talking 6 months to make one or two babies here.

I am glad that you stood up to him and didn't even consider it. :D

Ah, that's annoying! I know my friend was telling me about her friend who wants to breed their male pet store chin and she was like "I bet they'd breed her (Chloe, my chin) with their chin" and I said no and explained Chloe is a CL chin and I wouldn't want to subject her to any health issues but in my mind the whole time I was thinking "no...no, there is no way on this earth NO!!!"

Other than being extremely irresponsible, that guy probably has some social boundary issues as well...Sorry you have to avoid the store now, that's a bummer.

I don't like that the term "rat-faced" has a negative connotation to it either and I like rats as much as any other animal too.

That really is annoying, good for you for telling him no! I've had people say things like that to me before... it would never be worth it. Too much risk, not enough reward. I think my favorite thing that people ask, relating to breeding, is that people want to "borrow" my males as "studs" for their females. Um.... no.

That is too bad that you really can't go there anymore... but you know what, no means no, if people don't want to accept that, then whatcha gonna do.

ive seena couple rat faced looking chins,i was always wondering why they looked so different.. is it just they are a lower quality of a chin? i know that sounds harsh but i cant think of a better way to say that.

I'm good at just saying no, it's the constant nagging that irritates me.

Doorstopper chinchillas or "rat-faced" chins are simply chinchillas that are not bred to show standards.

Back