how to properly introduce chins?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the new guy I'm getting is 3 and Boo is just about 7. Now, are we talking about it being easy to introduce a KIT to an ADULT? Or do you mean that any chinchilla that is younger than the resident chinchilla is usually easier to introduce??

I believe she meant its much easier to put a kit (or very young chin) with an adult. Two adults, no matter the age difference, can sometimes have issues, sometimes not. It all depends on the chins themselves really. I have a female here who hates all other chinchillas and will live out the rest of her live as a singleton. At one point I did consider trying the car ride method with her, but I truly think she's happiest by herself. On the other en dof things, I have chins here living in groups of anywhere from 2 to 5 and everyone does ok with the current arrangements.

~Barb~

Boo's always been very accepting other chins (apparently before I got him he had many different cage friends in and out) and from what I understand, this Chin does good with the other male chin that he spends play time with. I'm hoping it all goes well, but we will see! All I can really do is cross my fingers!

This quote was pertaining to age...the new guy I'm getting is 3 and Boo is just about 7. Now, are we talking about it being easy to introduce a KIT to an ADULT? Or do you mean that any chinchilla that is younger than the resident chinchilla is usually easier to introduce??

I wouldn't say "any" younger to older pairing could work this way, since we could be talking about a 6-year-old and a 12-year-old being put together. I should have clarified. I was talking about putting a kit in with an older chin. Not even necessarily an adult, but maybe a 3 month old with an 8 month old. I have not had a problem putting kits in with most adults, especially the older breeders who have had litters of their own. They just seem to take it in their stride.

Although, as with ANY introduction, things can go wrong once the chins are together. So I don't just throw a kit in with an older chin and walk away thinking everything is wondrous. Putting a little guy in with a big guy pretty much leaves the little one defenseless should the older chin turn on it. I still monitor and make sure things are going well. I still throw in a dust bath and some stuff to chew. I just don't usually need to go through the entire "pre" introduction process in those instances.

I was wondering the same thing about age. So ... lets say i can't stand the thought of 6 year old Rocket being alone now that his cagemate just died... and i was keeping my eyes open for a friend for him . What age gives me the best chance of success for an introduction? Sounds like you would recommend a kit but could u clarify what age that should be? What would be the youngest age kit and the oldest age kit i should be looking for? I have never done an introduction but reading on here makes it seem as though it is more the norm if done correctly that they can be successfully introduced and it is the rare occassion they won't get along? Would you guys agree with that or am i getting the wrong impression? I would say i want to try it if chances are 80% or better i can find him a match .

What age gives me the best chance of success for an introduction? Sounds like you would recommend a kit but could u clarify what age that should be? What would be the youngest age kit and the oldest age kit i should be looking for?

That is really going to depend on the personality of your boy. I have taken retired male ranch chins, who are used to breeding many females, and had them live out their lives very peacefully together. But, they were both very laid back animals. So, is it possible to add an adult to an adult? Sure, anything is possible. Generally though, people find it easier to find a couple month old chin and put it with an older guy. Anything under 5 months I would consider a youngun still. After that, they start hitting tweendom and can turn into buttheads.

It bears repeating again too, even if they get along wonderfully at first, even for years and years, at any time they can turn on each other and you must have a spare set up so that you can separate them immediately. If you see a bunch of fur all over that cage, you need to move one of them out of that cage.

Back