How to process Pear wood?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Amber*

I have a pear tree in my yard that I'm sure has no pesticides and was wondering what all needs to be done before I can give the twigs from it to my chins?

Everyone has slightly different processes for doing wood, pear isnt different from most woods. I remove leaves and cut everything down to the size I want to give the chins. Then I boil it, adding a pinch of salt to make the water boil hotter (I can set the temperature on the thing I do and I put at at like 450 degrees, but as long as it's boiling it should be ok.) I boil for 30 minutes usually. If the water gets really colored/dirty, dump that and add clean water until the water doesn't get discolored. After that I take it out and scrub it under running luke warm water in the sink. I set them in front of a fan to air dry the outside so the oven has less work to do (at this point the oven is drying them out so they don't mold-microbes should have been killed during the boil). Then they go in the oven on the lowest setting (180-200) for about 20 minutes before I check them. You want to check the ends of the sticks to make sure the core of the wood has dried. Usually the wood starts cracking from the center if they're done or it may still look darker/damp if it isn't. With bigger sticks/logs they may need to go back in multiple times. With huge pieces it may take hours, but you may want to slowly cool them off and take them out, then put them in and let them reheat a few times. This keeps the bark from separating by doing it slow, and keeps the wood from burning/being overcooked by leaving it in too long.

Thank you so much for replying !!! I had this pear tree in my yard that I have forgot about and here I am buying wood online lol

Back