How to keep hay fresh?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hana

Hi I have a chin and bought 8lb timothy hay bag this time.
People here say you can keep hay fresh for several months
if you store it correctly.

My questions are...
*I'll split it in several vinyl bags.
-Should I make some holes?

*Then I'll put the vinyl bags in a plastic container.
-Can I close the led completely?

I know it shouldn't get sunlight and moist.
But hay needs to breath..

Oh and also pellets..
I bought 3 10lb pellets.
Is it safe for several months after open?

Thank you!

I have a mesh laundry hamper that I keep my hay in, and anything that doesn't fit stays in a cardboard box with holes poked in it. I keep hay for 6+ months at a time this way and my chins always gobble it up.

As for pellets, you generally do not want to feed them after about 4 months after opening or the mill date. They start to lose their nutritional qualities after that time.

I use a rolling laundry cart

maid.jpg

Geez, Dawn, you make the rest of us look like we don't know what we're doing!!!

I'm off to Bed, Bath, and Beyond to get one of those carts!!! :thumbsup: GENIUS!!!

So is it a bad idea to leave the hay in the bag it came in? does it lose it's freshness after awhile? And for the pellets I keep mine in a zip lock bag will that help them stay fresh?

i use a loosely woven plastic picnic bag and leave the top open, and when i buy hay in mini bales i fluff it up in the bag as soon as i bring it home. i only buy enough hay for about a month or two at a time (because that's all that fits in the bag, lol).

as for pellets, i buy enough for about a 3 month supply at a time. that's one 10 pound bag for my two chins. they are pellet hogs though! i keep the pellets in their original ziploc top bag (oxbow brand).

I keep my hay in a big open bin, under the table where my guinea pig cage is.

100_8672.jpg

Every night when I am refilling hay bins, I turn and rotate my hay to keep it fresh. And
to fish out any foreign objects, lol. Once I found about 10ft of green twine in it!! :eek:

My pellets I keep in a dog food bin called a Pet Saver or something like that.

100_8674.jpg

25lbs of chin pellets, 25lbs of pig pellets, lol.

Thank you!

Thank you everyone:thumbsup:
It looks all good and you do simple than I think.
chinchillas are very picky than human..:(
I'll do my best to make him happy and healthy:hug2:

Latest posts

Back