How to introduce Dad

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

wingittim

First thanks for everyones help. My three day olds are doing great, gaining weight, and unexpecticly highly energetic. Now my next question, since both kits are males after the 12 weeks with mom, i would like to house them with dad. Tonight I let dad smell them a little but when is it ok to let actuallt meet? I'm guessing not for a few weeks but your suggestions would be helpfull.

Since the kits are boys, I would not leave them with mom any longer than 8 weeks. I have never reintroduced dad to his kits before. Hopefully, someone else can help you with that.

When the kits reach 8 weeks old, wean them and keep them in their own cage for two weeks to monitor their growth, eating, etc. After the two weeks you can go through standard introduction procedures. You can try them in the cage together with you standing at the open door and see how the father reacts to them. You can also do the cage within a cage method.

I guess the answer is 10 weeks, lol. Start the introduction process when the kits are 10 weeks and definitely eating well on their own.

UH--OH -- We have a mom with two kits born this past Tues and have been letting Dad in the cage with mom and babies for a few hours and then dad in his own cage for most of the time. Can Dad not be there at all?

UH--OH -- We have a mom with two kits born this past Tues and have been letting Dad in the cage with mom and babies for a few hours and then dad in his own cage for most of the time. Can Dad not be there at all?

No Dad cannot be around the Mom at all. If you have been putting him in with her for hours at a time then chances are she is already pregnant again so you need to get ready for more kits in around 100 days or so. Dad can get Mom pregnant again even when she is still pregnant with the first litter as well as immediately after she has the kits. As I said she is probably pregant again so you should start thinking about what you will need for the next round of kits. Do you know the genetic backgrounds of both parent chins? If not please do not let them breed again as the kits can develop maloclussion and other genetic issues that shouldn't be allowed to pass on to future generations. If the parents have pedigrees and you got them from reputable breeders then talk to some of the experienced breeders here about what to expect when breeding chins. Unfortunately there are some real horror stories associated with breeding chins.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back