how to help a handfed kit dust?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacd061506

I have one kit that is being hand fed and I'd like to teach her how to bathe but I'm not sure what I should do, I put her in the bath butall she does is try to jump back out. Are there any tricks to teaching her how?

How old is she? Is there a chin that will 'adopt' her (male or female, doesn't matter) and show her?

If she's not living with mom, then I'd try to place her with another chin that she can socialize with and learn from. I've got several chins here that love to be adoptive parents and/or babysitters. You do have to be careful though, as not all adults are willing.

She is 3 weeks old and only 65g. I've got her with a female during the times I'm at home, but I've got to take her to work with me to keep up on her feedings. The other female has taken baths with her, but the little one just sits there and lets the big one's dust land on her, she doesn't try to roll around with her.

Buddha (raised by mom) was really slow and didn't actually roll until he was at least 6 weeks old. Nixi (handfed) was rolling at 3 weeks. I sprinkled dust on her head, shook my head side to side, and got her to mimic me. As soon as she felt it hit her skin, her whole face lit up and she shook some more. I made a circular motion in the air with my finger and she rolled over immediately. Not sure if that'll work for everyone, but she picked it up really quickly.

Yah she's still young - i find they are terrified the first time, cautious the second, interested the next couple times, and finally getting the point by about the 6th time :) She will probably get the hang of it over the next couple weeks.

I just put my handfed baby in the dust and she took off. I used dust that had been used by another chin so that she could smell it. But maybe Maia is just strange :)

Latest posts

Back