how to get your chin to stop peeing on shelves

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My chin keeps peeing on his shelves in his cage and was wondering if there was a way to stop this or discourage it.

This is what I did...Remove the shelf, pour pure vinegar on it, leave vinegar on for a couple of minutes. Then, I dry, sand, repeat vinegar process, dry and place back in cage. The girls have stopped peeing in the shelf...

Now, if only I could get them to stop sitting where they pee...

I was never able to win the battle of the shelf peeing, so I had boxes made to sit the cages in so that my walls & floor aren't getting sprayed. Before anyone freaks out over ventilation they have plenty. The boxes are open on the top and have two inches on the sides and back. They are also covered in contact paper which makes it very easy to wipe down.

i wash all of mine in vinegar and he still does it. roni, i would love to see the set up you have, because i cant quite visulize it, and it sounds pretty darn effective!

My boys used to pee out the back of their cage occasionally, so we got a big sheet of cardboard from the grocery store (they come on the sides of pallets), and put it up behind the cage. It actually got them to stop peeing on the wall, I think because they are constantly trying to eat the cardboard. Sadly for them it is just out of reach. They have taken to peeing on their pumice blocks, which I soak and clean weekly now when we do their cage.

Pay attention to where and what their peeing on. Its possible it could be more then just the self.
I thought my boy was becoming a shelf pee'er. Turns out he was simply only peeing on top of they hay. When i moved they hay off the shelf, he never peed on that shelf again.

Nope, mine is definitely peeing on his shelves, on his pillow, and right out through the bars on his cage. Which, is the reason I need to figure something out, or get someone to build me a Melamine cage.

If it is an easily removed wooden shelf, I would take it out, scrub it with vinegar, then hydrogen peroxide. Let it dry, sand it down so that the staining is gone. When you reinstall it, flip it over. Chins will pee where they smell that they have peed before. The vinegar will neutralize the ammonia. The peroxide with denature proteins, the sanding will get most of the stained wood off, and flipping it will put some distance between the smell and where it was.

Its only on his one shelf and I havent started to use a littler box yet. Do you think that if I put one on the shelf and found a way to secure it that he might just use the litter box? I change his liner every other day and he has always just used liner before but maybe I will try the litter box to see if that might help.

I slanted my shelves just a bit - only the ones that were always getting peed on. It's enough so that they don't want to sit on them, but not so steep that they can't walk or jump onto or off of them. They tend to hang out on other shelves and in their tubes, so I don't feel like I'm taking perching places away from them.

Back