How to get chins to eat more hay?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eycamry

One of my chins has become less and less interested in hay. I've tried everything, even the Oxbow Botanical Hay which smells so nice. She just doesn't want to eat any. :hair: She is only eating a little bit of alfalfa. I know they don't HAVE TO eat hay because there is hay in the pellets. However, this chin has been having chronic soft poo problem. I've taken her to the vet and could not find anything wrong. So I am give her pinch of oats everyday with acidophillus sprinkled on top. So far the poo has been ok, but if she can eat more fiber, I think it is going to help, right? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Have you tried various different brands? My chins would hardly touch Oxbow, so after trying a few different brands, I've found that they like American Pet Diner the best. Some chins are just very picky...

Haven't tried APD, but have tried Oxbow,Kaytee, Kleenmama and the kind from feed stores. She just changed her mind all of a sudden and doesn't want to eat hay anymore. :wacko: I will order some APD.

are you only offering loose hay, or hay cubes too? One of mine is not a big hay eater, and has also had issues with softer poo off an on, and she seems to like the cubes more than loose hay.

I break small slivers off of the larger cubes and I'll hand them to her while she's hanging out in her hammock or where ever, she seems to eat more that way.

She is quite a pellet hound otherwise.

Twice a week, I give my boys a mixture of all of the different kinds of hays I have. I use a letter size storage cardboard box from officedepot, it has one handle size hole on each side of the box. I just fill it with all of my oxbow hays, such as timothy, botanical, alfalfa, oat and orchard grass. I then just shake it around to get a good mix and give them a handful twice a week. They love it!

None of my girls like hay cubes, even the big hay eaters don't touch them. :nah: As some of you know that I sell Oxbow hay, so I have a variety of hay at home. That girl only eats alfalfa. I really don't know what to do now. And this is out of topic... but she doesn't chew any wood either. I am concerned about her teeth. She has had her teeth filed down once already a few months ago. It took two whole months for her to return to normal, with hand feeding of Critical Care, Dyne, and Lifeline. I just don't want her, or myself, to go through that again. :hair:

Mine seem to prefer fresh baled hay opposed to bagged pet store hay. They get picky too. I caught it on sale last week, so I won't need to buy anymore for a long time. Maybe you can try mixing timothy and alfalfa together? Might trick her into eating it. Since she doesn't like wood, try pumice stones or lava bites, they do a good job as well.

My chins LOVE APD's mountain grass, please try this one!

Just want to say that if you buy hay now, you will probably get last year cut. It's not that fresh .I think APD's this year hays will be available in October.

The key is to provide variety, I offer APD's second cut timothy,it's higher in minerals than first cut or than Oxbow timothy ( especially in Ca and Fe, but it's soft). So I also offer APD's mountain grass (coarse leaves), Oxbow organic meadow hay( coarse stalks), these are great for wearing teeth down,Oxbow alfalfa and bluegrass . Tried justgrass ( 40-42% Fiber) and readigrass but my chins do not like it much.

I like Oxbow alfalfa better than APD's. I did not test them, but I think that APD's alfalfa maybe high in oxalates.

I do not offer pellets till 11pm( and I limit the amount 1 tablespoon), so they eat lots of hay ! Diet should be low in energy, this way chins consume large amounts. If you free feed alfalfa daily that maybe the reason she does not like grass hays. I would try to limit the amount you give, I understand that alfalfa is great for teeth health(it also contains fluoride), but chins also need coarse grass hays. Chins usually eat alfalfa leaves and do not touch stalks.

Another thing that helps me is that I do not give all types at once. In the morning they get Meadow hay, during the day timothy, in the evening other types..... They probably think they get something new all the time! Offering small amounts but more often works for me.

I think it's very important to find hays that your baby will eat, coarse hays are the best to help wear teeth down as they promote proper side-to-side chewing motion. Did you try apple wood? Vitamin C is important too, I offer rose hips.

If you offer oats every day, just check the teeth to make sure they are orange. Phytic acid(grains) can interfere with calcium absorption. This acid binds to a variety of minerals including calcium, magnesium, copper, iron, zinc and prevents their absorption. Insoluble salts are formed, called phytates, which are wasted from the body.

Hope you find hays your girl likes!
Good luck!

My chins LOVE APD's mountain grass, please try this one!

I will definitely try it. Thanks!

If you free feed alfalfa daily that maybe the reason she does not like grass hays. I would try to limit the amount you give, I understand that alfalfa is great for teeth health(it also contains fluoride), but chins also need coarse grass hays. Chins usually eat alfalfa leaves and do not touch stalks.

She eats very little alfalfa, and none of the others. I feed her alfalfa only because she doesn't eat any other hays.

I think it's very important to find hays that your baby will eat, coarse hays are the best to help wear teeth down as they promote proper side-to-side chewing motion. Did you try apple wood? Vitamin C is important too, I offer rose hips.

She used to chew some apple wood, but none of the other kinds of wood. But now, she doesn't like apple wood anymore. And she doesn't like rose hips, rose buds, lava bites, willow/grapevine wreaths, or pumice. Very very picky chin... :impatient:

Thank you all for your helpful inputs! I guess I will have to shop around and look for a hay that she likes.

If your chin is eating less hay, I would suggest having his teeth looked at.

>She used to chew some apple wood, but none of the other kinds of wood. But now, she doesn't like apple wood anymore.

Another reason to check the teeth.

Hay is more important than pellets, if you have to pick one. Unless you are feeding timmy pellets, there is not enough hay in a pellet.

Alfalfa is not a grass hay. Grass hays are necessary for good health.

Mazuri and Oxbow nutritionists recommend 2 tbsp pellets max.

Back