How to clean a chinchilla cage if the chin is still untamed?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casshyr

What is a good way to lure my chinchilla out of the cage? I just got her 5 days ago, and the weekly cleaning is coming up. I have finally built up enough trust so that she will take food from my hand, but she won't let me grab her (i know if i try, that will just further setback my bonding with her).

Any tricks or tips to get the chin out of cage so I can clean the cage?

Can you lure her into her dust bath and then either release her into a carrier, or a play pen if you have one?

What kind of cage do you have? I'm actually able to clean out my cage without taking Mochi out because my base pan separates from the cage.

What kind of cage do you have? I'm actually able to clean out my cage without taking Mochi out because my base pan separates from the cage.

I have one from Quality Cage. The base pan can separate! I wasn't sure if I should do this because I don't know if the chin might see it as a big shock to see her floor moving away...but i guess i don't have a choice.

Just pull out the pan. It will not cause any trauma to the chinchilla when you do it. Most of my cages are from Quality Cages Company and I clean while the chinchillas are in their cages all the time.

I clean around Lola all the time she is fine with it. I used tidy up cleaning as a way to get her use to me being in her cage. I use a hand broom in the cage and fleece liner so there is no loud noise and she enjoys casing my arm around now or hopping on my head while I clean :)

I also clean while my chinchillas are in the cage because it is easier. Also I don't think you chinchilla will get overloaded with shock when you pull the pan out, she has to get used to some time. ;)

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas Tesser :chin4: and Dodge :chin:.

I clean with my chinnies inside too, and my pan is built in, I use fleece liners for my girls, they do a good job at messing things up and being a menace while I am cleaning and pulling their liners out, but I do get the job done, and my boys use shavings at the bottome of their cage, I spot clean every night and they know my routine and don't even bother to notice me.

Back