How to calm down a skittish chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

allspiritseve

Hi, I'm anue118's boyfriend. I'm taking care of Bella and Lyra (http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?p=52620#post52620) for a couple of days while she's on a camping trip.

Bella (the one pictured with hair loss) is VERY skittish. Any relatively sudden movement on my part, or loud noise, will make her run to the back of the cage and hide. Starting yesterday, she's been making a loud chirping noise which I've found out is barking. The first time I had music playing on my laptop, the second time there were birds chirping loudly outside my window, and just a second ago there was music being played downstairs with loud bass (still being played :impatient:). I want to help her calm down, and get her used to me... any ideas? She's definitely curious, and will sniff my finger, but any other movement around her makes her run away.

Oh, and I should mention: her previous owner said that her first owner mistreated her, which probably has a lot to do with her behavior. How can I convince her that I'm going to take good care of her and won't try to hurt her?

This is normal behavior for chinchillas in a new place or ever hearing a loud or unfamiliar noise. This is part of why it best if chinchillas are kept in a quiet area. If you've only had her for a few days she is not used to the noise of her new envirment and is doing what comes naturally when she is scared. Chinchillas are often slow to warm upto changes in setting, food, and especially people and if as you said she has ever been abuse then its an up hill battle and will probably take months or even years to get her to settle in and trust you.

A few tips:

1) If the music in from you laptop is bothering her, Don't play it. Get some headphones and keep your room as quiet as possible for her.

2) To help her bond with you don't try and catch her or hold her, simply sit next to her cage. Talk, read, or sing to her to get her used to your voice and the way you look and smell.

3) Try comforting her while the music downstairs is going. Sit next to her cage talk softly, in a reassuring manner and feet her some old fashioned oats.

Just keep in mind that this will take a long time and and there is no quick fix to a skiddish chinchilla just be patient and do your best to make her feel comfortable.

I agree with what EveningChin said, it's exactly what I was going to say. It takes time, and patience to gain a chins trust, and her tips were right on.....:)

ditto on the above. my one chin is a bit of a spaz and was a rescue and i just go by his cage ALL the time. sometimes i open it and sometimes i just talk to him.
i think it is really sweet that you are so concerned and trying to keep them safe & happy.:thumbsup:

Back