how should i set up the inside of a FN cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

chinlover

while looking around on this site i saw that some people put blankets of some sort down on the bottem of their FN cage. is it useful bacause i know that ferret nation cages cant have bedding put down directly on the pan bacause its too shallow .

Wel, you could put bedding down, but there isn't going to be very much that actually stays in the cage with all the running around the Chins going to do.

I think what most people are putting in there are fleece covers and if they put a pan with bedding, they special order it from one of the websites listed at the top of the Housing/supplies section of the forums.

The "blankets" you see are fleece liners. Most chins will leave the fleece alone, the theory behind using fleece is that there are no loose threads in the fabric. Some chins will chew it up though and then you have to remove it from their cage.

The FN cages come with shallow plastic pans, which chins may chew up, so some people and myself have purchased the deep metal pans from http://www.bassequipment.com/Cages/F...s/default.aspx

Fleece absorbs the pee, but I and most people have placed a small pan of bedding in a corner where the chin pees but thats not guaranteed that they will pee in there. Then you can just shake off the poop from the fleece liners when cleaning the cage. You'd need to wash the liner every few days to a week or else it will smell.

Instead of getting the bass metal pans, you can cover the plastic shallow pans of the FN with the fleece liners. I attach mine with velcrove to keep it in place.

I also use fleece liners, it is way easier. The cleanup is a real quick, shake and tape lol ( for the time being ). My chinchilla actually pees an inch away from the designated spot probably just to make me mad.:laughitup:

Back