How Often Should I Weigh My Chins?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmilyLiliLove

SassyChinchillasRescue
I just bought this SCALE and was going to start weighing them but was wondering how often i should do it? I was thinking daily weighing for at least my 2 month old but was wondering about the rest.
Also how much weight change is bad (+&-)?

I weigh every 2-3 weeks unless I think there may be an issue. Any loss over 10 grams Iwill reweigh in a few days to a week. If more weight loss then I get concerned.

I weigh every week when I clean cages. Also agree with Brea about re-weighing if more than a 10gr. loss.

I try to weigh everyone every quarter. If there is a 15 grs weight lost I will re-weigh them in a week. If there is an increase in lost we are heading to the vets.

I weight once a month. I don't get concerned untill they have lost 25-30 grams. A full bladder can add 7 grams just by itself. I always weigh at the same time (morning,afternoon, night for example). If they have lost 30 grams then I start weighing that chin once a week. To watch the weight.

I weigh mine at least 2 times a week - for now, I'm doing it almost every day. It's interesting because they can gain or lose up to 20 g a day - only consistent weight loss is a problem. Typically they gain it right back the next day. I like to see their trends and feel like I know what's happening with them, plus it gives me more time to hold them and train them to stand still.

I weigh mine once a week. Newborns are weighed daily. If I see a downward trend over a 3 - 4 week period, I have the chin checked at the vets.

I lure them onto the scale by rubbing a little dust on the surface. Then I hand them a goji to get them to sit still long enough to get a weight. It can be tricky at times.

Maybe I should get a digital scale......... He's still mad at me for the vitamin E thing on his hind feet (I have a post in the health section) but I've stopped the past few days because I think he is ok (I am just being paranoid, I think!) so I'm letting him get "un-mad" at me :)

I give mine a cheerio to eat while I weigh them. If that doesn't work, you can put a bowl on the scale, tare the scale and then add the chinchilla. The weight you will get is the weight of the chinchilla without the bowl. If your scale does not have a tare function, weigh the bowl, add the chinchilla and then subtract the weight of the bowl.

Latest posts

Back