How often do you clip your hedgies toenails

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torsornin

Mine seems to need it once a week - is that normal - I dont want them to get to long - but I am trimming off about 1/8" long for a hedgie in one week I think! I have never quicked her either - very careful

I've had a couple that have needed nail trims weekly but then others who once a year was enough. My Teasel, RIP never needed nail trims until the last almost year of his life and then it seems his nails made up for lost time. lol

I check every time I have them out, and clip as needed. They all seem to grow at different rates and it doesn't make much sense to me to put them on a schedule. For example, I HAVE to clip Cuda's nails twice a week or they start curling under. His nails grow stupidly fast. I can get away with clipping Vette's nails once a month, and Kismet's every 2 weeks or so. It seems they grow faster in the summer and I'm not sure why. It just feels like I always have clippers in my hand, and a struggling hedgehog on my lap, hehe.

Usually whenever Bilbo has a bad case of poopy boots I bring out the clippers, which is 1-2 times a month.

I try to do one or two nails every night for Phoebe - by the time I finish all of them, the first ones I cut need trimming again. Ronnie's nails have slowed down quite a bit and now I only need to trim them maybe once a month, if that.

Winston needs it done about every 5-6 weeks, but only the first 2 on his back legs. I used to have to do it in the bath, but he's getting much better. I still keep him in the kitchen sink (no water) when I do it though, so he can't get away

Kendra

Carmen only needs her hind paws trimmed on ever 3-6 weeks. -She hates it, too.
><

Latest posts

Back