How often do chinchillas pee?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freeman97

My partner got a chinchilla two days ago -both of us are brand new to chin owners, this particular one was separated due to aggressive behaviour to other chins which is the only reason we are keeping one solo.

In 48h we have not noticed any wet patches, although the chinchilla is pooping and eating a lot. Is this normal? Do chinchillas pee a lot?

Make sure it is drinking enough water, atleast a couple ounces a day. Put their water bottle in an easy to reach place, and monitor the amount gone each day in the morning. They are most active at night and that's when they should drink the most. If they don't seem to be drinking water, I recommend talking to a vet. Since he is newly adopted, he likely is a bit nervous. Give them atleast a week to let them get adjusted to their new home. I'm not sure how often chinchillas should pee, but as long as they are getting enough water, things should continue naturally.

If anyone else has any tips please post!

Hope this helps!

would depend on there intake. In addition to above, make you check the bottle now and then each day to make sure it is working properly. If no water is coming out then you and chin are going to have a problem. (one reason many ppl have two bottles in the cage). They dont drink an overwhelming amount to our eyes. So you can mark the bottle with a marker or something to check the water level and see if its changed.

And if you just got them, then they could be stressed out. Some times they dont eat/drink much in that state.

Back