How much veggies for guinea pigs?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eycamry

I've been wondering how much veggies I can give to my 2 piggies everyday. Now, I am giving them maybe 5-6 lettuce leaves twice a day. Is that enough? They seem to always want more, but I read that they can get diarrhea (sp?) from eating too much veggies because of the water content. Yet, they drink tons of water from their water bottles. Does the amount of veggies need to be controlled?

I've been wondering how much veggies I can give to my 2 piggies everyday. Now, I am giving them maybe 5-6 lettuce leaves twice a day. Is that enough? They seem to always want more, but I read that they can get diarrhea (sp?) from eating too much veggies because of the water content. Yet, they drink tons of water from their water bottles. Does the amount of veggies need to be controlled?
The best place for guinea pig info is guinea lynx. Make sure they are getting enough vitamin C daily or you will have problems.

meanie's right. Guinealynx is a great site for info.

My general rule is 1-2 cups of veges a day, but NO regular lettuce as it is has no nutritional value and can cause bloat. A few veges I use are:

curly fancy lettuce (only one a week)
silverbeet
parsley (great for vit c)
mixed baby salad leaves
carrots (twice a week)
spinach (only one a fortnight as has HIGH calcium)
apples (once a week)
red peppers (some of my guineas wont eat them though)

If my pigs get soft wet poops then I stop veges for a day or two and just let them eat hay and pellets. If it persists then I go to the vet.

Back