How much is too much?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anna

I love my FurBlobs.
Usually when I feed the chinchillas daily, they eat about 3/4 of their food and I give the, new food at the end of the day. Well, every time I turn around hebe and Waldo's food bowls are empty. Or they're eating. I remember reading that their bowls should be filled constantly but I can't remember if that was here. Is it possible for chins to over-eat? Both these guys are little fatties and love to eat. I keep giving them food but it seems like I'm doing this a lot. Ive never had this issues with the other chins haha

Fatty boys! It's perfectly normal. Two chinchillas in a cage tend to exercise more and be more active with each other because of the constant companionship. Because of this, they tend to eat more to keep up their energy levels.

I definitely have less waste of pellets with my pairs. I also fill their bowls, about 1/2 cup, every morning. I'll add more at night if it's close to being empty.

I just think Tab breeds fatties. Artie and Button are forever eating. One of them is almost always at their pellets or hay.

Chinchillas (and all other animals) are not like humans, they don't eat because they are stressed out, bored, depressed etc. They eat because they're hungry. As long as it's good quality food, they won't eat more than they need. I fill my boys dish half full twice a day. They're not fatties, just extra fluffy ;)

Back