How much food?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kardelen

I think might be tiring you all but once more i need to ask.
Astrid is eating all her pellets now.
I have noticed she has a pattern(might be my idea) but she wakes up at about 15:00 my time and is on the look out for food and after she eats she goes back to sleep and then she eats again at night when she is fully awake.
The thing is she devours all her food.
i give her 1 tbl spoon the first time and 1 at night and she has plenty of hay which she chews on also.
Are the 2 tbls spoons and the hay enough?
(her poop is twice the size they were from the first 3 days when she got home)
should i give her more pellets?

I give my chins unlimited pellets and timothy hay / orchard grass. When their bowl is empty I put another scoop in.

Unlimited hay and pellets here too. If the bowl is empty it gets refilled. My boys eat through out the day and night, a few pellets here and there. There is no reason to limit pellets, chins don't generally overeat.

2 tbs is the average amount that a chin eats, but some eat more some eat less (and some eat more one day and less the next) you don't need to restrict her pellets, as mgonya said if the bowl is empty add more. Most chins don't over eat, and I think all pretty much snack throughout the day as you described. Over time you will learn the normal amount for her to eat a day so you'll know how much to put in the bowl. A chin's stomach is only about the size of the tip of your pinky (most of their "guts" are their intestine) so they really don't eat as much pellets as you'd think. Also I think it's suppose to be something like 75% hay 25% pellets for their diet (I'm not 100% sure so don't quote me on that, but they eat a lot more hay then pellets anyway).

your chin should eat 10-30 g of pellets a day. It is different by every chin. My boy is not a big eater. He eats 1 TS of pellets (15-20g) and my baby girl takes it with the philosophy "all you can eat buffet" and she eats 3 TS... Your chin shows you how much she/he wants to eat :)

thank you all so much...
and indeed she does let me now..at 5:15 in the morning!:facepalm:
still having trouble understanding why she barks but i guess it was the food or the tv..she likes music.and i think she is an "all you can eat buffet" girl. :)

Back