how much food should chins eat?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poofybutt412

;)I was wondering if my chins are possibly eating too much...it seems probably every other day i am filling there bowl up...im gonna guess and say the bowl fits about a cup of food at a time...are they eating too much? also, its purina pro show that they are eating...thanks

Doesn't sound like too much to me. I always let my guys eat as much as they want. Fat rolls on chinnies are adorable...! LOL ;)

My boys go in streaks, they will empty their food bowl every other day for a couple weeks and not eat very much hay, then they will pig out on hay and I end up tossing pellets after 2-3 days. Most healthy animals will not over eat or under eat, they eat what they need to survive.

this is another mystery to me is why worry so much about giving chins one to two raisins or dried cherries a week, but its ok for them to be over weight to the point of having rolls, i just dont get this, but it is adorable, I wish i looked that cute with my love handles

Please don't offer cherries to your chinchilla as a treat. Any fruit with a pit is thought to be unsafe for chinchillas - including the wood of the tree it grows on. I'd hate for it to cause him any problems.

this is another mystery to me is why worry so much about giving chins one to two raisins or dried cherries a week, but its ok for them to be over weight to the point of having rolls, i just dont get this, but it is adorable, I wish i looked that cute with my love handles

Chins can be overweight but they have different body types than people!

It's not really about raisins/dried cherries making them little chubbers. It's more about them eating things they can digest and won't upset their little tummies and possibly make them ill.

This is the complete opposite of mochi. She eats ~1 tbsp of pellets a day and a handful of hay. I sometimes think she's not eating enough, but she is gaining weight (up to 468 from 445g), so I think she's just not a big eater.

Are we supposed to control the amount of pellets given to our chins.... like couple tbsp? I've always kept their bowls filled and given plenty of hay. Neither of my chins are overweight. My female LOVES her pellets and my male LOVES his hay.

Are we supposed to control the amount of pellets given to our chins.... like couple tbsp? I've always kept their bowls filled and given plenty of hay. Neither of my chins are overweight. My female LOVES her pellets and my male LOVES his hay.

I've always read and hard to feed chins freely.

Chins should be free fed all the pellets and hay they want. Cherries are bad for them and shouldn't be give. By fat rolls she doesn't mean real fat but big chins with very thick hair that appears to be 'fat'. Chins are not naturally fat on quality food. They can be obese on treat filled diets though which is extremely harmful to them.

Latest posts

Back