How much food is too much?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElliesMama

Chinchilla Mama
Hiya,

I have a chinchilla that turned 6 months at the end of April. I have been free-feeding her oxbow pellets since I got her at 2 months. However, I read that at 6 months I am supposed to cut her down to 2 tablespoons a day.

I have tried this a couple of times and she eats it all very quickly which makes me think she is still hungry and I end up giving her more.

She is growing very fast, and I want to make sure she gets the nutrition she needs, but I also want to avoid making her a little chubster.

How much do you feed your chinchillas?

Thank you!

I free feed both of mine. I was always told that you don't need to limit their pellet intake, it's the treats that you should cut out.

Agree with the above. My chins go through varying periods of voracity as they grow, more when they are in a growth period and less in the interim. I tend to give a little more than the volume they eat when its empty. Also, each chin is different and accordingly eat a different amount of pellets.

I agree no need to limit food intake, especially while growing and at 6 months a chin is still growing, close to full grown but not there yet. Some mutations can take up to 2 years or so before they are done growing. Once they are done growing most adult chins do eat around 2 table spoons a day, give or take, but so long as they are eating their hay too, if they empty the bowl fill it.

Latest posts

Back