How much food/hay should I stock up on?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KIWIo3o

I'm planning on getting three chinchillas rather soon, and they're between one to two years old. I was wondering how much food I should get them, and how long the food will last without getting spoiled if I keep it in an airtight container (I can freeze it if necessary).

I was also wondering how I should store hay. Bugs are a common part of life! I'm worried if I leave it in a simple cardboard box, bugs will get to it. Is it okay to keep hay in an airtight container as well, or does it need to breathe? And how much hay should I get for three chins without it going bad as well?

both products stored in airtight containers will last a year easily. pellets are essentially ground up types of hay and all, and hay is dried grass. most farmers store there hay in wraps for a year or two easily

With two chins I go through roughly 5 pounds of food a month, so with 3 probably about 7.5 a month. If you buy more then a month or two worth at a time either get smaller bags or a large bag and divided it up into smaller airtight containers stored in the freezer. Only have a month worth out and open at a time or it will go stale since you are opening it everyday to give them more food, allowing air to get in. By then end of the month the food is starting to not smell as sweet and fresh and the chins aren't as excited for it.
The hay I wouldn't put in an airtight container, it does need to breath some or it will get moldy. The plastic hay wrap mentioned that farmers use is actually a breathable plastic, it allows air in and moisture out but keeps water from getting in. You can get about a years worth of hay at a time, a square bale (like what you get on a farm) should last you about a year or two (hay is good for a couple years after being cut). Personally though I prefer to buy smaller quantities (5 pound bag of timothy and 1 pound bags of something else) just in case my chins don't like that package of hay I bought, and it allows me to offer a variety as chins can be picky on brand, cut, and type. The 5 pounds of timothy last me about a year, with added hay cubes and an assortment of other hay types. Store the hay in an open cardboard box should be fine, or even large paper bags work too. I don't think bugs are going to get into hay, I've never had or heard of a problem, it's commonly stored stacked in barns or round bales stacked outside year round with only a tarp on farms and there's no problem. The biggest problem with large amounts of hay tends to be being able to store it and keep it from getting damp and moldy.

With two chins I go through roughly 5 pounds of food a month, so with 3 probably about 7.5 a month. If you buy more then a month or two worth at a time either get smaller bags or a large bag and divided it up into smaller airtight containers stored in the freezer. Only have a month worth out and open at a time or it will go stale since you are opening it everyday to give them more food, allowing air to get in. By then end of the month the food is starting to not smell as sweet and fresh and the chins aren't as excited for it.
The hay I wouldn't put in an airtight container, it does need to breath some or it will get moldy. The plastic hay wrap mentioned that farmers use is actually a breathable plastic, it allows air in and moisture out but keeps water from getting in. You can get about a years worth of hay at a time, a square bale (like what you get on a farm) should last you about a year or two (hay is good for a couple years after being cut). Personally though I prefer to buy smaller quantities (5 pound bag of timothy and 1 pound bags of something else) just in case my chins don't like that package of hay I bought, and it allows me to offer a variety as chins can be picky on brand, cut, and type. The 5 pounds of timothy last me about a year, with added hay cubes and an assortment of other hay types. Store the hay in an open cardboard box should be fine, or even large paper bags work too. I don't think bugs are going to get into hay, I've never had or heard of a problem, it's commonly stored stacked in barns or round bales stacked outside year round with only a tarp on farms and there's no problem. The biggest problem with large amounts of hay tends to be being able to store it and keep it from getting damp and moldy.

Alright thank you! I'm going to put the hay in untreated wooden boxes that'll have holes in it and hang them up. :) I'll also do what you said with the food - it does make sense that opening often would decrease the taste and smell and all.

Back