How much do chins remember?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeeleyAnne

Buddha & Moose (:
This is kinda random, but I'm just curious. How much do you think chinchillas can remember? Or I guess how LONG can chinchillas remember things? I just wonder if my 6 month old chinchilla remembers not always being a single chin. Does he remember living with his mom/dad/sister? I kinda doubt it, but I've heard that chins "hold grudges" so they must remember things at least a little bit? Any thoughts?

I had one that HATED his last owner, would bite her to draw blood every time she tried to hold him-this chin in my ownership never bit anyone and had been held by many people, 2 years later the owner came to a party of mine and asked to see her chin, I told her he was a sweetie-pulled him out of his cage and handed him to her-after a few moments he bit her and drew blood and spazzed out, he remembered he hated her! And she cried because that animal hated her that much.

Wow that is really interesting!! It seems like they wouldn't be able to remember that far back! Do you think it has anything to do with her smell? Like the chin smelled her and it made her remember?

wow dawn....that is crazy! my chins seem to have a memory more from consistency or ritual. but i have no specific situation to test memory.

Flea definitely remembers people and situations. I have lived by myself for 2 years and my brother and his dog came over a few days ago. Flea and the dog were "friends" when we lived together and Flea ran down to the bottom of the cage as soon as the dog came in and didn't go back into his house until they left.

My Momma chin has never forgiven me for combing out some mats in her coat even though it's been 2-3 years. She loves my husband and son more than me.

Flea definitely remembers people and situations. I have lived by myself for 2 years and my brother and his dog came over a few days ago. Flea and the dog were "friends" when we lived together and Flea ran down to the bottom of the cage as soon as the dog came in and didn't go back into his house until they left.

That is adorable! :) I'm so surprised that he remembered!

My Momma chin has never forgiven me for combing out some mats in her coat even though it's been 2-3 years. She loves my husband and son more than me.

Aw I'm sorry! You were just trying to do what was best for her! ):

Back