how much C.C is too much?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vcchinchilla

to my horror last night I noticed Da Vinci not really eating
he'd be trying to eat his pellet hold it in his mouth in several different positions and wouldn't bite it
I even gave him a whole chin cookie (its a test i know he's not suppose to have the whole thing), not even a nibble he licked it all the way around the edge
my poor baby!!!
went to the vet first thing this morning, he's gotten CC and i think metacam? for five days
she thinks he's chipped his top two teeth, cause they were a bit short .
I hope that is exactly it and not malo... it's gotten me quite on edge, I mean he never pawed his mouth he never had watery eyes etcetcetc
i could cry right now >_<

.... to the point
according to his weight 1.5tbsp of the food add water, I did it this afternoon and holy! it's alot of food
I syringe half of it today and it seems like to me he can't finish it either

I shouldn't force it on him right? or am I suppose to?

Da vinci is fairly under weight but I let him be as long as every few weeks when I check he's gaining weight slowly but surely

vet said if da vinci wants more food give him as much as he wants
I'm freezing his other half of the portion for tomorrow day time when I'm not around or I shouldn't do this?

I also crumbled some pellets sprinkled a bit of CC into it he seems to enjoy that lots

I'm so flustered i dont know where I'm going with this post...

force the rest of the feed to him? I fear his tummy will explode =(

I think it's usually recommended that you try to get at least 60ccs of Critical Care into a chinchilla per day. That usually means three feedings of 20 or so. What I did is I would handfeed him as much as I could get into him at once... often 10-15 ccs and then I would put the remainder on a small shallow plate. I usually made some a bit dryer for this purpose so it wouldn't run off the plate. My little guy would gobble it up off the plate as he got hungry if he didn't feel absolutely awful. The apple/banana Critical Care apparently tastes really yummy to most chins. Only in the very beginning did I have any issues with him. I wouldn't panic about malo unless there are other signs. However, xrays would probably be a good idea if you can manage them and think he weighs enough for them. As far as the plate of Critical Care I've even left a plate in there and went to bed. I just washed it off in the morning. Often most if not all of it was gone. If he's not eating on his own I don't think you can really get too much food into him.

All chins are different in the amount they want to eat at one time, I have had some that eat 30ml at one sitting, some could only eat 10ml at one sitting, feed 4 15ml feedings, or 6 10ml feedings or if the chin will eat it 3 20ml feedings. The key to feeding amount is weight-some chins will still lose weight on 60ml a day and they need to be fed more, the most I had to feed to maintain was 120ml a day, the least I have fed to maintain weight was 45ml, the average is 60-80ml a day. Weigh the chin daily, a few gram movement up or down is normal but you don't want a slide in weight.

I have asked this before but not gotten a clear answer. How much dry are you mixing to obtain that 60 cc? I feed Chilli 20 cc 3 times a day but I am using 2 tbsp dry. So since he likesbit really runny like a shake, should he get more? The reason for the question is that every chin likes a different consistency so shouldnt the guidelines refer to how much àctual food? Thanks for the help!

One level tablespoon is about 5g thereabouts (dry) so according to the instructions on the packet to mix 2:1 you should get around 15ml for that tablespoon.

Mine eats around 20-30ml per feeding for 5 feedings a day. For cases when the chin is still eating but is having some trouble, I usually prepare the CC a bit thicker and put it on a spoon/dish. They will usually take it if they are still attempting to eat pellets. It's only when they are totally refusing food that I make it runnier and put them in syringes to force feed. Definitely easier to feed if you have thick blobs. Sometimes my girls will "try" to hold them in their paws like pellets only to squash them up (and licking paws then ensues - they really like the thing)

So far so good, only day 3 now not exactly force feeding anymore looks like he enjoys it but not being held in my arms
Otherwise he seems to refuse to eat in the cage
The other night he chewed up the willow basket, but not a lot of hay intake
I fill it up at night, next morning I take away his special crumbly pellets and un lock the two lvls so that the two chins can play but the hay is un touched
Afternoon is cc feeding time
Night time second sitting and the hays is eaten and scattered all over the floor
But I don't know who ate it =(
Do chins eat a load of hay??
I give them usually massive handful maybe 1/3 more less is on the floor
I thought chins would leave less on the floor

Latest posts

Back