how many

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how many chins do you keep in your FN cage?

• 1-2

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • 3-4

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • 4-5

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • 5+

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
One forum member had pictures of 9 chins in a 142 model. They didn't look too cramped. In person I've seen 3 chubby boys in a 141, they all seemed to have pleanty of room. I noticed you're breeding, so I just wanted to throw this out there. FN's are not baby safe, and need to be modified for kits.

At one point I had all of my girls in there (9 at first, but it ended up being 11). It definitely was not cramped, but I just couldn't keep it clean. I'd say realistically, 4.

I've had up to three in one section and they seemed comfortable. But I wouldn't put many more than that in.

with the help of members here, i did learn that they are not baby safe, i am going to use hardware wire to kit-proof them, i've heard thats the easiest way of doing it. would you agree?

One forum member had pictures of 9 chins in a 142 model. They didn't look too cramped. In person I've seen 3 chubby boys in a 141, they all seemed to have pleanty of room. I noticed you're breeding, so I just wanted to throw this out there. FN's are not baby safe, and need to be modified for kits.

At one point, I had a chin in a FN 141 with her two female kits but as they grew up, I felt that it was getting more cramped. They were always on top of each other (they may have just been cuddling lol) but I'd say two per section is what I'd prefer for my own chins. Now, Emmy has a FN 142 all to herself..spoiled brat! :laughitup:

with the help of members here, i did learn that they are not baby safe, i am going to use hardware wire to kit-proof them, i've heard thats the easiest way of doing it. would you agree?

Yes, I believe hardware cloth is the best way to do it. Most people do this when they have suprise babies (accidental pregnancies, didn't know the female was pregnant etc...) If you're planning to breed though, it would be better to get runs or cages that are already baby safe. The hardware cloth may come loose over time, and need to be re-done.

Since I like the FN cage best I permanently attached the hardware cloth with wire/craft wire to the cage. It takes awhile to do but - weaving the wire around to attach the hardware cloth to the cage but it stays.

Back