How many of you have wheels or flying saucers?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many of you have wheels??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
my boys don't have a wheel yet, just gotta save up the last few bucks for it (why is it that the 'last bit' you need always seems out of reach?? lol). i'm going to get them a chin spin.

as for weight and having/not having a wheel - both my boys are under 600 grams and i won't deprive them of a wheel unless i see a large weight drop after giving them the wheel. Rhino is a standard and he's never gone over 540 grams (holds steady at 525 most of the time). Guss's last weight about a week ago was 516. they eat good, poop a ton, and are healthy, so that's all that matters to me.

I hope to be getting my girl a chin spin soon, just need a few more bucks for it!

None of my breeders have wheels but the babies have them in the colony weaning cages. I do this so that when they go to new homes they have learned how to use one and avoid injury. I've never had one get injured or any issues arise from the wheels. Once they reach 4 months of age they go into individual holding cages that do not have wheels.

Chinchilla size depends on the body type of the chinchilla, 600g is still pretty average when it is all said and done. Most show breeders go for larger size but if you're just pumping out babies those smaller ones do it much better.

Weight should not be a determination for getting a wheel. Muscle weighs more than fat and a lean chinchilla that is alert and bright eyed is healthier than a fat chinchilla.

I have a chin spin and he absolutely loves it. I unfortunately got it for him when after 6 years since I had him, and he learned to use it fairly quickly.

chinchillin2005: That's cool, glad your chin learned after 6 years. :D

I ask everyone here cuz I was trying to dicide if I should get one or not. But I figured my girls are quite happy coming out of their for playtime. That seems good enough for them..

chinnmyheart: You definitely should get the chinspin! :) It's amazing!! Same with me, I used to let him out every single day, even when I was exhausted from school work, at night and figured that was enough for him. Nope, I was wrong. He has so much energy he's on his wheel all night even after jumping everywhere. It's expensive, and I had to use some of my own birthday money to buy it, but it was the best purchase I bought for him besides the FN 182. The wheel is amazing, and I'm sure your girls will love it! At first, I was so worried he wouldn't know how to use it, and it was a total waste of money, but once he learned, he loves it. Plus I figured he's 6 years old and not having a wheel his whole life was sad, so I bought it for him. One 15 " chinspin is plenty for both your girls. I really like your chinchilla's name, Snow white. :) My chinchilla's name is Shadow.

:) Oh really! :hmm: I'll think about it..

Is it easy to take off and put on?? Cuz I don't want to leave it in the cage I am hesitant about wheels.

I am more worried about keeping my chins safe than injured. I heard some chins get injured. I am always thinking better safe than sorry.

Thank you, my son gave me the idea of naming my chinchilla snow white. I gave my other girl kitty. Cuz her nose has some light gray, makes me think of a cat LOL but then again I like the movie MONSTER INC. "KITTY!" that what boo says. Sounds like she loves him so much, that why I name her that cuz I also fell in love with her at first sight. :)

chinnmyheart: You definitely should get the chinspin! :) It's amazing!! Same with me, I used to let him out every single day, even when I was exhausted from school work, at night and figured that was enough for him. Nope, I was wrong. He has so much energy he's on his wheel all night even after jumping everywhere. It's expensive, and I had to use some of my own birthday money to buy it, but it was the best purchase I bought for him besides the FN 182. The wheel is amazing, and I'm sure your girls will love it! At first, I was so worried he wouldn't know how to use it, and it was a total waste of money, but once he learned, he loves it. Plus I figured he's 6 years old and not having a wheel his whole life was sad, so I bought it for him. One 15 " chinspin is plenty for both your girls. I really like your chinchilla's name, Snow white. :) My chinchilla's name is Shadow.

:) Oh really! :hmm: I'll think about it..

Is it easy to take off and put on?? Cuz I don't want to leave it in the cage I am hesitant about wheels.

I am more worried about keeping my chins safe than injured. I heard some chins get injured. I am always thinking better safe than sorry.

Thank you, my son gave me the idea of naming my chinchilla snow white. I gave my other girl kitty. Cuz her nose has some light gray, makes me think of a cat LOL but then again I like the movie MONSTER INC. "KITTY!" that what boo says. Sounds like she loves him so much, that why I name her that cuz I also fell in love with her at first sight. :)

Oh yes, it is also easy to clean and 100% safe!! It's the best wheel in my opinion and well built. The 15" chinspin is safer I would say than the flying saucer. My chinchilla has never gotten hurt, and it's easy to take off. Just unscrew the 4 attachments, and it's off. It's huge once you get it, but its the right size. I only wipe off the wheel when he has a dustbath with a wet paper towel, and that's it. The only (possibility of you chin getting hurt) is if it does backflips on the wheel. Like if there is a shelf next to the wheel, it will try and climb on it, and fall. But no worries, when people attach the chinspin to the cage, they put it like 1 inch off the floor so they can climb on to it and get off it easily. And Kitty is such a cute name also, esp. since its from Monsters Inc. :)

My chins have wheels. I tried the chin spin and none of them would use it. :confused: I bet if they would have given it a try tho that they would have loved it!

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

My chins have wheels. I tried the chin spin and none of them would use it. :confused: I bet if they would have given it a try tho that they would have loved it!

How old were they? Also, you should try to coax them with a treat on to the wheel. My chinchilla wouldn't go on the wheel at all for the first week. Then he would go on it, and jump off. Once he was on it and decided to move a little, and he learned to use it.

Two of my chins are 8 and one is 4. Maybe your right I should give it another try. I didn't think of using a treat. :p

I have the chin spin in one cage and a flying saucer in the other. The flying saucer is WAY quieter than the chin spin. I barely hear it at all. I'm actually considering replacing the chin spin with another saucer because I like it so much!!

I just put a silver surfer in my new little guy's cage a few hours ago. I'm so excited that he already figured it out. He's on it right now. It's quiet for now, but if it's anything like the girls' wheel, it'll be making a racket in a few months, lol.

my girls do not have a very big cage so I am wondering if there is a spin / wheel that takes up very little room or one they can use while out of the cage ? they get floor time for their exercise

if I get them a wheel / spin that works outside of the cage would they use it or just keep running around the room like they do anyway ?

I have a flying saucer wheel in all my cages. My chins love the wheel and I like them having a wheel so they can exercise on their time, not mine when I have time for outside playtime. I don't understand what the point of the wheel would be outside the cage. It is totally worth the space it takes up.

I use a wheel in every cage unless there are newborn babies. I start the babies on a wheel when they are weaned at 300 grams and they always thrive and always continue to gain weight. I have about 200 babies born each year. I have never had them get over heated, injured or anything like that from using a wheel.

For those who have wheels which ones are quiet? I am sure all of them and their pros and cons.
Just curious?

My hamsters have wheels and one of them make alot of squeeking. It annoying lol

Back