How long will pellets last

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tina000

So I have a large amount of tradition pellets right now and they are being stored in air tight containers. I was just wondering what is the best the way to store them and keep them fresh and how long can they be stored before I should buy new pellets?

I did just read another reply to someone else's question similar to mine. So if I freeze their food it wont cause their pellets to lose nutrients?

Freezing is not recommended. Ice crystals form and create moisture in the pellets. I try not to use pellets 6 months after the mill date. I store them in an air tight container.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Besides an airtight container, store in a cool dry place. The bottom of my pantry is always very cool and dry, makes a good place for mine. :)

And ABSOLUTELY (I know it's been said) CHECK MILL DATES! I found several local mills that were selling 6 month old food!

okay thank you I cant really check the mill date because I got them in bulk from my breeder so Ill keep them in air tight containers and just buy more in 4 months to be safe. I bough them a month ago.

Back