How long does it take you to clean a cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinchilla63

Just wondering.
Do you clean top to bottom daily?
Also, what time of day/night?
I've been doing them in the evenings but thinking about switching to morning, my kids are complaining I spend more time with the chinnies than with them, lol.
Lee

I usually just vacuum the liners and change shavings in the litter boxes and that takes about 30 min per cage. When I totally clean about once a month,it takes about 2 hours to clean one cage. I take everything out and scrub cage outside and let it air dry. I wash all the accessories and change out toys. When I replace the shelves and fleece stuff, I always arrange it different from the last time. I usually clean on Sunday morning since that's my day off work.

I have a 6ft cage with 3-4 chins. I vacuum, give fresh food/water and change bedding every morning = 20-30mins. Then I do a Real good cleaning once a week which usually takes 45mins or so.

My 2 chins live in a custom 5-foot tall, 4-foot wide cage (built by my lovely boyfriend;)) , it has a fully open front door, plus a smaller door, so it is super easy for me to clean the cage with a vaccum cleaner. The first thing i do after getting out of bed is cleaning the cage LOL I use pine shavings so I just have to change the shavings in the pee pan, vaccum the poops, fill their pellets bowl, hay bowl, rosehip bowl, refill water.....Vacumm clean the carpet around the cage... Takes me about 20-25 mins.

Attachments

• cage.jpg
    cage.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 55
I completely clean the cage from top to bottom on Sunday afternoons. It takes about an hour and that includes cleaning the basement of dust and stray poops, lol! I also vacuum the cage and basement on Wednesdays but I don't do a full cleaning...that takes about half an hour. I change their litter pan every other day. They are litter trained pretty well otherwise I would probably have to clean the cage more often. I have three girls in one cage :)

Daily- quick vac of poos, chewed sticks and hay scooped out, and bowl/water refilled ~10mins
Every other night- empty litter pan and refill ~5mins + daily
Every 3-5 days- change liner ~5mins + daily and litter pan
Once a month- remove everything from cage and scrub ~45mins + everything else
*Times subject to cuteness distractions and treat begging*

I vacuum every evening and sometimes multiple times a day on the weekend. Usually takes about 15-30 minutes or so for that. At the same time I have my daughter change out and clean all the litter pans. Also top off any water bottles that look low and feed everyone. Every three days I remove and wash all their fleece, and then every three to four weeks sand down all their wooden structures. Cages get pulled outside to be scrubbed and dried maybe every 6 weeks. depends on which cage it is, some of my chins refuse to use the litter pan and prefer to just go wherever they want. so they get scrubbed twice as often as the others. :banghead: oh and one a week a more thorough vacuuming by pulling all the cages out from against the wall and getting all the ick that accumulates over the week. Seems like all I do is clean up after those little buggers.

My 2 chins live in a custom 5-foot tall, 4-foot wide cage (built by my lovely boyfriend;)) , it has a fully open front door, plus a smaller door, so it is super easy for me to clean the cage with a vaccum cleaner. The first thing i do after getting out of bed is cleaning the cage LOL I use pine shavings so I just have to change the shavings in the pee pan, vaccum the poops, fill their pellets bowl, hay bowl, rosehip bowl, refill water.....Vacumm clean the carpet around the cage... Takes me about 20-25 mins.

That is an awesome cage!!!!

It takes me about 30 minutes to clean 3 cages. I sweep off all their shelves of poo, then remove all the items on the bottom of the cage. Dump all the dirty bedding into the trash then wipe down the metal pans with water/vinegar. Vacuum around the sides of the cages' where poo, hay, and bedding gets stuck. And I'm done. I also spot clean every other day by sweeping up excess hay and emptying their litter pans to refill with fresh bedding.

Chinchilla63, I have a 2 story cage for one chinchilla. It has metal floors with a few trays and a nest box with bedding. I vacuum the cage twice a day. The vacuuming only takes a minute but with the additional time to move my chinchilla, put the vacuum away, and wash my hands it usually takes about 4 minutes per cleaning, so about 8 minutes a day.

I wash the metal stuff (dishes, bedding trays, nest, and floorboards) once a week and that takes approximately 45 minutes. After washing the metal pieces I place them on a towel, dry them with another towel, and back in the cage they go. I have dedicated towels that I use just for my chinchilla so they have to be laundered which is about 10-20 minutes per week depending on how often they're washed.

Including washing the water dispenser daily and washing other odd items, I estimate it takes 2.5 hours per week to keep my chinchilla's quarters neat and clean. I never realized how long it takes until I added it up. Thanks for your post to help me figure this out!

DoGooder

For a double ferret nations...About 20 minutes to vacuum and refill food/hay/water. About 45-60 minutes to do a full cleaning with liner changes.

It usually takes me about an hour every morning.
I change their food and water, sweep the levels, then vacuum and then wipe with a damp cloth. Then i vacuum everywhere else that they've kicked food and poop out

A quick vacuum, food, and water change every day. Along with the removal of soiled bedding (approx 10 min total). Every Saturday is a complete change out, vacuum, wipedown (30ish min). Every other Saturday, so every 2 weeks, is a complete change out, vacuum, scrub down, and dry (approx 1 hour).

Back