How long does it take for a chin to warm up to you?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chexy114

I've had my little guy for about two months now, and he seems to trust me okay...he jumps on my shoulder (to be able to jump higher, the bugger), takes treats out of my hand, and lets me pet him on a rare occasion.

I know chins normally take a while to warm up to you, and I was just wondering how long it takes them to really bond with you. Does it sound like progress from what I described above? Whenever I take him out to play he likes to run around and tries to escape ALL the time...he can be jumpy but sometimes he seems comfortable with me.

I'm willing to be patient as long as it takes, but is there anything I can do to encourage bonding with me? I don't want him to just "tolerate" me forever...I already adore him so much!!!! <3

I've had two Texas rescues for a little less than a year now. One is as sweet as can be and has warmed up nicely. Her cage mate acts like I've mistreated her from day one. She runs in a wild panic whenever I open the cage door. She is very timid and mostly hides in the hidey house whenever I'm around. So my answer is, some warm up easily and some never will.

Yeah, it sounds like your chin is warming up to you well. I purchased my ChiChi from Craigslist and she is very timid too. The kits, on the other hand, are very friendly, they crawl on us during playtime, walk onto our hands and are just generally more tamed. It all depends on the chin. Since Chichi was a year old when we got her and she came from a family with a young child, she may have been scared of people. She may never come out of that..

It definitely sounds like progress just keep in mind chins are not like dogs or cats who like to bond and snuggle with their owners. Some chins don't ever become snuggly or like to be held.

I have a few snugglers, the most tame is Guido who sleeps on his back in the crook of my arm while I rub his tummy watching T.V.

I have a few snugglers, the most tame is Guido who sleeps on his back in the crook of my arm while I rub his tummy watching T.V.

OMG what an ANGEL!!!!! I wish mine did that :/

Is it possible that he will be a snuggler someday and I'm just expecting too much too soon? I'd love my chin to be snuggly <3. I'd actually like to get another one, but it's probably too soon and I'm nervous about whether he'd get along with someone else...

Its very possible, just like others said it depends on the chin. I've had Neve a little over a year, and she warmed up in a couple months, but now she lays on me, let's me scritch her, and won't run away during playtime.

Every chin is different-although the few kits I have kept since birth have turned out to be the best companions-so I do recommend starting young:)

Back