How hot is too hot?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kraucci

Hey everyone,

I'm unfortunate enough to be writing this from near Boston, Massachusetts. I say that because this year the infamous bipolar nature of New England weather just will not give us a break. Now that the snow has finally melted, it's been high 70s to mid 80s for the last week or so.

I've read in several places that 68-72 degrees is ideal for chinchillas, so I usually stick closer to 65-68. Is this true? I guess that's my first question!

It's not anywhere near summer yet, so the a/c is still in storage. My room has been between 72 and I think 79 at some point the other day even for most of the day until I can cool it down and it heats up so fast again in the morning.

I got a thermometer last year specifically to make sure I don't steam Sam. The other day when it was on the hotter end, his ears weren't red and he seemed to be actually really content. Yesterday and today though, he seems to be a little on the toasty side. He doesn't really find the slab of granite to be something he can lay on or whatever.

What else can I do for him to keep him at a reasonable temperature? Am I overreacting? Can they be in temperatures that warm? I'm going to move him downstairs where it's cooler in the meantime most likely if it doesn't cool down. Please let me know if you've had experience and if I need to know anything!

Thank you for all of your knowledge so far. I really appreciate it. We both do!

No, they cannot be in temperatures that warm. 75 and higher can kill a chin.

I would just get the AC and put it in... I already have mine in.

Yeah the difficult part is that it's going to be back to the 60s in a couple days probably for a while, so my landlord is not inclined to go get it. He knows he can't get too hot and he's a huge fan of him and supported me getting him, but the way the weather is here I think we'll just be taking a field trip downstairs where it's cool for a few days.

I had read somewhere that there was a like magic number that the humidity I think it was and the room temperature can be added together and if it's below a certain number then it's fine. I can't remember what the number is I know it was 100something, but I was thinking maybe that's true and that was why he hasn't been bothered because it's dry? Thoughts?

By the way, the one in your username picture is beyond adorable!

Thank you for your constant wisdom and patience :)

If you cannot get the landlord to get the AC unit you may want to think about a fan or portable AC unit.

If the temperature and the humidity added together come to 150 or more, you need something to cool down your chin area. Fortunately here in the North West of England the temperatures don't get very high, rarely over 22 degrees.

If the temperature and the humidity added together come to 150 or more, you need something to cool down your chin area. Fortunately here in the North West of England the temperatures don't get very high, rarely over 22 degrees.

Thank you for confirming that magic number for me! I was hoping it was legitimate because he doesn't seem to be suffering. His ears will get a little pink for a little bit, but that's when the temperature is initially rising. He seemed fine a little while ago, but I moved him to another room just to be safe. And it's not like there's any reason he needs to be trapped in my room anyway. I don't even want to be here right now! You have humidify to battle with though, no? I seem to recall my hair looking rather chinchilla-esque shortly after stepping outside when I was there hahahaha.

That "magic number" doesn't work... Otherwise a chin would be fine in say 100F with 50% humidity, or 100+ if the humidity is low, which it most definately would not! A better thing to go by would be a chin is ok up to about 75F so long as the humidity is below 50%.

Amethyst is right, that magic number is crap. While it may have to do with low humidity that your chinchilla is alive...those are DEFINITELY not safe temps to keep him at. If the downstairs is cooler, and stays cooler throughout the day move him there. The ONLY thing that'll help heat is an a/c...fans are useless. Best of luck.

Just so you both know, my chinchilla was in weather over the 68-72 range before I got a/c sitauted for several years, just not to this extent and out of the blue this time of year. The first year is when I learned about the number and he's stayed below that (I actually thought it was 110 or 120) and never had an issue. Some FAQ link on here connects to a Merk or something I think, and it states it there. I saw it yesterday after I posted this. I think that site is legit, no? Dr. Mark? I can't remember

The "rule" I think is more about if you have really high humidity (like 80%) then it needs to be even cooler to make up for it. But no. Even at 40% humidity a chin shouldn't be at 75 degrees. I suggest getting a thermometer/ whatever the word is for a humidity scale :). I got a thing at walmart for $12 that gives me two temperature readings- one at the device and one at the end of cord (meant to be indoor/outdoor but i use it to give me 2 temp readings in the room) and it gives humidity percentage. My chins don't even like that their room isn't the nice 62 it was over winter. They've been sitting on granite and ears are slightly redder occasionally and have been fussy just because they're hotter than normal even though its still in a safe range. We've already been opening windows at night (unless its higher humidity and no wind) and closing them during the day and have used the AC a few times to keep it at/under 70. My chin room NEVER gets above 72 if I can help it and I prefer to keep it lower than that and I use a dehumidifier if the humidity gets higher- I like i to stay under 50% because I've read that's about the line houses start getting or having the potential of mold issues and figure my chin wood and everything doesn't need that. I'm in MI and we've got the same weird heat wave/freezing wave crap. The chins just cant tough it out for a week like people can.
(most people- my guy will start melting at exactly 73 degrees- 72.99 degrees is just fine, but at 73 he's really uncomfortable. He's my chin danger alarm :) )

One summer we had a bad heat wave I think it was 115. My ac was working but couldn't keep the temperature down the lowest it got down to was 82. None of them died but I was panicking.

Even if the temperature does not kill them immediately, they are miserable. Think about wearing a heavy winter coat at that temperature. You would be very uncomfortable very quickly. Why would you want a beloved pet to be miserable and in jepordy of losing his life. If you cannot keep the temperature under 75 degrees, you need to find a new home for your chinchilla. Oh, and brain damage can occur at temps over 75 degrees without killing the chinchilla and no immediate symtoms.

I always thought the 'magic number' is a combination of temp and humidity within the ranges that chins have been know to tolerate. I also thought the number was around 120.

Temp range: 60 - 70 degrees
Humidity range: 40% - 60%

At the two highest numbers from both ranges, (70 and 60), the total would be 130 so A/C or other cooling techniques are needed even though both numbers are within the tolerable ranges.

There's some interesting info on temp and humidity on this website: http://www.greenwoodchinchillas.co.uk/overheating.html

Though, if this info is wrong please let me know! Thanks :)

There is no 'magic' number. If my chins get close to 70 they start laying around like they are suffering. Your chin may have survived higher temps cause he has a poor quality coat. My show chins are extremely thick coated and they can not handle any kind of warmth. Humidity does play a huge role but you cant factor that in by number alone. They lower the humidity the better, thats the best rule to have. The fact that fans top nothing (since chins dont sweat) means temp and humidity are the only way to safely keep your chin cool.

Edited to add, Even though your chin has been in hot temps and shows no signs of issues now does not mean there wasnt damage done. They can have long term repercussions from over heating such as seizures, brain damage, kidney and liver issues later in life.... just cause you dont see anything now doesnt mean you chin is ok at a higher temp

Latest posts

Back