How hard should I scratch my chinchilla??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bartley_

Hi everyone! I've got an 8month old chinchilla male named Bubba. I've had him since he was 2months old and he's an amazing pet. I was wondering if anyone could explain how hard to scratch underneath his chin or other areas of his body. I'm a 25 year old male and while I'm not huge and muscular I still stay away from doing this because I'm afraid I'll hurt my little guy. I always pet him and he seems to love it because he makes a bubbling sound when I do. Then he grooms my hand after I do it every time haha. Thanks for any advice!!

, Jake

Gently

Petting is great for bonding, and as long as you are doing it gently by rubbing your finger against a their head or chin (avoid using your nails) they will be perfectly happy with the attention they are getting. You want to be careful while handling Bubba because their bones are quite fragile. That likely won't be a concern if you're just giving him little scratches!

I have 3 female chins. All 3 of them look forward to their nightly ritual of scratching. I have a very tall cage and they all run up to the top level. Never would I have imagined how these goofy little critters could get into this as much as they do. I'll start under their chin, then they will roll their heads around until I get behind their ear all the while I swear with the biggest contented grin on their face. This goes on for several minutes. It is one of the funniest things I have ever seen and my wife and I have gotten so many laughs and so much enjoyment out of this and just our chins in general. Keel scratching! He would let you know if you are overdoing it. ☺

Thank you!

You guys all answered everything I really needed to know!!
I really appreciate it😃
Thank you,
Jake

Back