How exciting!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastcoastchins

I'm feeling conflicted right now! My lovely girl, Belle, a standard SC, just gave birth to FOUR little ones. My first litter of quads, back-to-back with my first litter of triplets (who had to be rotated/supplemented, and are now being handfed). It's exciting - and an awesome learning experience - however I am mourning the loss of wonderful nights of 8 hours of sleep. At least this mom is an experienced breeder, whereas my mom of triplets was a first-timer. Fingers crossed that this litter goes smoothly!! I haven't gotten a really good look at the babies yet, just saw four tails sticking out from a very unimpressed mom. This all just occurred within the last hour or so. I knew she was getting ready when she gained an incredible 80g within about a 2 week period!! The babies will be either standard (psc) or sapphires, since the dad was a standard sc.

Fingers crossed everyone! I'll keep you updated :)

So I got a better look and some weights, although I didn't bother sexing yet. First, it looks to be three standard psc and one sapphire. The weights are 47g, 44g (sapphire), 50g, and 38g. I was astonished at the relatively healthy weights (although my 38g-er could be bigger, although not bad for the smallest, right?) because the look like... little aliens! Haha. They are VERY wobbly, and only the sapphire has open eyes I think. I already heard some fighting!! Wonderful. Mom yelled at them though, so we will see. This is the very first time I've seen kits so close to birth. Is it normal for them to be so wobbly on their feet at first?

They're so noisy!

Definitely keep a close eye on them. Some bickering is normal so soon after birth, as it may take mom's milk a little while to come in. If it continues after milk has come in, then you will of course have to intervene.

Good luck - I've only had one litter of quads in 7 years of breeding...

Thanks! I'm keeping a close eye on them. Eyes still aren't open on the standards. How long should I wait before opening the eyes myself?

They've really fluffed up now! Looks like three girls and one boy (one of the standards is a boy).

Well, I asked for it! I kept wishing for babies and now I got seven within less than a month!! Unbelievable!

Congrats and good luck! I would get the eyes opened now, I have heard they can get infection if not opened.

Thank you! I did decide a few hours ago to open their eyes, and to my surprise there were only two little eyes not opened (one eye on two different babies). So I helped them open up without a problem :) All eyes are open and all babies are bouncing around!

Thanks! I certainly hope so. Sometimes I wish I could hire someone to be on chin duty for just ONE night :yawn: haha! Oh well, when I see those cute little faces peeking out at me it's all worth it. I'll definitely post photos once everyone has settled!

Thinking I may need to start rotating. The poor sapphire is always getting bullied. Nothing serious with injuries, just getting pushed off mom. Is it okay to rotate them when they're so itty bitty? I mean I have to of course, the sapphire has to eat. I just feel bad pulling such teeny tiny babies away from mom.

Might want to offer some JAGS supplement and see if that takes the edge off before starting to rotate. Still might have to rotate but doesn't hurt to try that first. I like to intervene as less as possible.

Last edited:
Unbelievable! I just had ANOTHER litter of triplets born this morning! :dance3: what a month! It's three little ebonies with the same dad as my other triplets. He was a busy busy boy a few months ago! They're all a little on the smaller side, at 37g, 40g, and 35g. Hopefully that doesn't mean anything bad for them.

The quads are doing okay so far. I was going to try the dry supplement as suggested, however I went to check on them the one time and suddenly the little sapphire had a boo boo on his cheek :( so I decided not to risk waiting any longer and started rotating. There's just one bully in the group bullying the sapphire it seems, because I saw them fighting and took her out to hold her, and everything settled. Little trouble maker! So now they are going two by two.

I'd start hand feeding as a supplement so that all four aren't as hungry. I do this with my litters of trips to prevent fights from arising, and it works great. I've had an unbelievable number of trips and quads this year, plus a litter of quints. I feel your pain!

Just wanted to give a quick update! The quads are doing SO well. They're all growing like champs!! I've been rotating and it is working perfectly. My first litter of triplets is doing excellent as well on the handfeeding, and are also growing like crazy!! Sadly, the smallest little guy of the second litter of triplets didn't make it :cry3: it was very devastating... I tried rotating and hand feeding him but he just didn't pull through... my poor little munchkin is a chinnie-angel now :angel4: his two sisters are doing well.

Last edited:
I was just going to message you and see how all of the babies are doing. Glad to hear that they are growing like weeds. You have to post pics when you get a chance.

Here are some pics of the quads :) you can see the sapphire with his brother (he's the lighter gray one) and then the other pic is the two girls. Aren't they cuties! I wish the pics were brighter and clearer.

Attachments

• 20140615_140956.jpg
    20140615_140956.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 20140615_141126.jpg
    20140615_141126.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 42
Back