how does this chin quality look to you?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most on here will say it is difficult to give an accurate assessment of fur qualities from pictures online. I recommend attending the WA State ECBC Field Day in October. There, the animal will be seen and critiqued by an official judge. I found that going to shows when I first started gave me a very good idea of the breeding stock I was working with :). Field days are an excellent way to learn and see fur qualities. Hope to see you there http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39177

From what I can see in those pictures....

The good;
It's a very clear white
Fur looks dense though it is in very rough condition

The meh;
Fur is very soft
Neck looks weak (lack of density in the fur)
Way out of condition
Conformation isn't quite there (long/narrow/slightly wedge shaped)

My opinion; he would make a good breeder if you knew what to do with him. If this is your first male purchase to start a herd I would pass him up and pick up something at the show. Males are a dime a dozen and it is far easier to find one that is balanced in all of the desired qualities than find a blocky female to improve a narrow male.

This guy can be a good tool to add clarity and keep density in your herd however you will need the same type of big blocky female that everyone else is looking for to improve him. Unless you're breeding those, he isn't a good chin to pick up.

If you get him anyway - to improve what he is lacking you'll want to find a really stiff furred female, the type that when you rub your hand on them the fur bounces right back. Make sure she is a little wider in the shoulders and has a decent neck and you'll be on your way to some potentially nice offspring.

I don't know what your goals are, but that is a point of view from a show standpoint. If you are looking to get into mass production (wholesale) or pelting you'll want to go for a different set of standards

Judging chin quality through pictures is difficult at best and then trying to view those pics on a computer monitor makes them even more subject to varied interpretation. Flash and light conditions change color and clarity. Density and strength are difficult to tell even on live animals in person just by looking at them unless you have a well trained eye. I once had one judge at an Empress show ask if he could get my Third Best of Show animal out of the cage as he just had to get a feel of all that strong dense fur. Boy was he surprised! After checking him out he said boy is that a fouler! Said he would have never gone that high had he know he was that thinly furred.

My point is try to buy in person or at least from someone you really trust for their evaluation of animals. I get a ot of people who want to buy by pics but in all honesty some great animals take terrible pics and some average animals can really look a lot better than they are.

Judging chin quality through pictures is difficult at best and then trying to view those pics on a computer monitor makes them even more subject to varied interpretation. Flash and light conditions change color and clarity. Density and strength are difficult to tell even on live animals in person just by looking at them unless you have a well trained eye. I once had one judge at an Empress show ask if he could get my Third Best of Show animal out of the cage as he just had to get a feel of all that strong dense fur. Boy was he surprised! After checking him out he said boy is that a fouler! Said he would have never gone that high had he know he was that thinly furred.

My point is try to buy in person or at least from someone you really trust for their evaluation of animals. I get a ot of people who want to buy by pics but in all honesty some great animals take terrible pics and some average animals can really look a lot better than they are.

Couldn't have said it better myself Randy!

Another good reason to buy at a show is you get the judges opinion on the animal and not just the breeders. There are also a large number of animals all in one place which makes it easier to shop around I think. I saw a breeder on here posting that she was bringing some proven breeders to the WA show too!

Great advice Randy!

Latest posts

Back