How Does He Do That??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrweaw

A couple of weeks ago we made new houses out of kiln dried pine boards and had a couple of scrap pieces left over. We gave the scrap pieces to our males as extra chew pieces. Yesterday I noticed that our Pink White male Casper had his on the very top shelf of his cage. I assumed that Joe had put it up there for him and didn't think more about it. When I pointed it out to Joe last night he said he hadn't done it. Totally baffled I put the block on the bottom of the cage again to see what would happen. Later on it was back up top! He must be carrying it up there but I'm still not sure how since he won't do it while we are watching. For some perspective the block is 1" x 4" x 6", its pretty good size!

So, given all that info, do you all think he is moving it in his mouth, or using his "hands" and teeth? Every time I think about it I can't help but grin :) I just love my little furry butts.

Yep! Mouth or hands, teeth and mouth. Whenever I give my boys a piece of a chin cookie or a wood stick, some take off with it in their mouths and some use other body parts to take and run with it.

Yep! I have one that loves to rearrange his cage, and just generally carry things around. If the item is too big he will use a combination of mouth/hands/body to maneuver it around!

I'd love to see a picture of Casper in action...

maybe you should put a video camera out and let it run see if you can catch them in action

yeah could be dragging, Starrkey had a massive wood house thing and he managed to get it on the opposite side of his cage, move it through 90 degrees, if they want it moved, they find a way hehe

Sometimes I'm amazed at what my chins can carry. I've seen my grey standard carry around blocks of wood that I purchased from Barbi, from the bottom floor all the way to the second floor (I have a Ferret Nation). He only does that to the chew pieces that he really enjoys.

Yeah, I'm pretty surprised how strong these little guys are!! During playtime, I have these huge cardboard boards placed against the wall (4'X3') and a huge book shelf box from IKEA and Sesame is able to push and move these things easily. She knows she's not supposed to be moving the cardboard boards and chewing on the walls, so once I'm not looking, she goes into a frenzy and starts moving these boards like crazy.

They are quite strong and have a decent grasp on spatial orientation.

lol sounds like you have a smart little guy. does your cage have ramps cause if you do then he could be dragging it. i dont know how he would get it up there without the ramps, can you imagine him jumping with it? thats one smart chinny!

Back