How do you make your toys?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amorjessica

Hi, all! I'm tired of buying the overpriced lava bites and apple sticks from the pet store. I've noticed that a lot of the sellers on here sell toy parts. So, how do you do it? I've just been putting the chews that I buy on the metal hanger that they sell at Petco. Is there a different way? Where can I get the best deal on toy parts? Thanks in advance for your help!

You can make toys as cheap or as expensive as you like. A lot of people sell parts on here in the classifieds or have a site that will be in their signature with even more toy parts. It usually is cheaper to buy in bulk so check if they have bulk toy parts. They may even have the wire and anything else you need.

I just buy my wire and cut it to the lengths I want. You can buy some small O-rings to loop the wire on the bottom to keep stuff from falling off and then fill the wire up with toy parts and either add a pear link or other type of attachment to hang on the cage.

Sometimes I just loop the wire on the bottom and loop wire to the cage. Depends if I run of out o rings and attachments. Some people use sisal or coconut rope but I find the chins chew that and everything falls on the bottom of the cage.

Hope that makes sense.

I'm lazy and not crafty. I just buy my toys already made from AZchins.

LOL! I personally just go to Home Depot of Ace Hardware and get scrap KD Pine. I use a saw to cut it into whatever shapes I want, then drill holes in it. If I am feeling extra crafty, I will dye the wood with food dye, then let it fully dry out. Then I string some metal wire through ($3 at Ace) and at the end attach a tiny keychain ring ($1.50 Michaels) to the end so the wood doesn't come down. Then I attach the wood pieces, lava, whatever and hang them on the cage by attaching the wire to C-clips ($.50 Ace) by wrapping it around several times and tucking the extra wire under the already rolled wire.

My chins LOVE my toys. They chew on them way more than anything I have bought for them. It makes me feel loved :) Check out my blog to see the wood and then finished toys :)

I buy whirlies in bulk, and pine blocks in bulk, from different vendors, and I just keep re-using my wire hangers. Strip off the old, load on the new, and rehang. I also turn them over every other week so they can chew the underside bark, lol. For that reason I loop my wire on both ends, so that the hanging attachment can be switched from one end to the other. Makes the toys last twice as long.

Back